Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sent, Sent Items, Sent Messages

scottp is offline Active Member

Default Sent, Sent Items, Sent Messages

One of the great things about IMAP is the ability to use more than one client.

I am using, Zimbra Webmail, Mac OS X Mail.app and Windows Pocket PC Messenger.

They all work almost perfectly, very nice. Mail.app even supports the same Junk folder, so when I click Junk in Mail.app it goes to the same place as the automatic junk moves.

Draft also seems to be the same.

The problem is Sent.

Mail boxes used:

• Zimbra - Sent
    • Mail.app - Sent Messages
    • Pocket PC - Sent Items

I notice there is no way in any of the above to choose the name of the Sent folder.

As an aside, I also have a Squirrelmail setup, for those who need a lighter weight interface (eg: via an old browser, or a pocket pc browser) - it allows you to choose the name of the sent folder, so it works fine.

So my question is, is there a way in the IMAP server to remap a request to one folder name to another? If not, then I guess this would be a feature request.

Scott

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Yes it'd be a feature request. I've seen this as well but there is no easy way to tell other than client config if the various sent folders are user created or mail client created. I use Thunderbird which allows me to pick the folder so no harm there. My Pocket PC however doesn't let me pick so I end up with a separate folder.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Summit is offline Member

In Mail.app click on the "Sent" folder and then go to
    Mailbox->Use This Mailbox For->Sent

scottp is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    In Mail.app click on the "Sent" folder and then go to
    Mailbox->Use This Mailbox For->Sent
    Excellent, that worked for my Mail.app perfectly. I have configured now Zimbra (well, used default), Squirrel and Mail.app to use the correct Sent folder, which just leave Outlook on my Pocket PC.

Scott

dhallweb is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottp
    Excellent, that worked for my Mail.app perfectly. I have configured now Zimbra (well, used default), Squirrel and Mail.app to use the correct Sent folder, which just leave Outlook on my Pocket PC.
    For Oulook
    Per the Microsoft website:
    Outlook will save sent messages in your local Personal Folder (PST) Sent Items folder. You can use the Rules Wizard to save sent messages in a folder on the IMAP server. You may want to disable the options to save sent messages in your Sent Items folder. If you do this, you will keep sent messages from being saved on the local PST folder.

Back to the top Back to the top
    Create a Rule with the Rules Wizard
    1. On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard, and then click New.
    2. Click to select Check Messages After Sending, and then click Next.
    3. Click to check the Uses The "Form Name" Form check box.
    4. Click on the underlined "form name" in the Rule Description box.
    5. Click to select Application Forms, and then click to select Message. Click Add, click Close, and then click Next.
    6. Click the "Move a copy to the specified folder" check box.
    7. Click to select the "specified" folder in the Rule Description box
    8. Click to select or create a folder on your IMAP server. Click OK, and then click Next.
    9. Click Next again, and then specify a rule name. Click Finish, and then click OK.
    Back to the top Back to the top
    Disable Save Sent Items in the Sent Items Folder
    1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
    2. On the Preferences Tab, click E-mail Options.
    3. Click to clear the "Save copies of messages in Sent Items Folder" check box
    4. To close the dialog boxes, click OK twice.

repvik is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by dhallweb View Post
    For Oulook
    Per the Microsoft website:
    Outlook will save sent messages in your local Personal Folder (PST) Sent Items folder. You can use the Rules Wizard to save sent messages in a folder on the IMAP server. You may want to disable the options to save sent messages in your Sent Items folder. If you do this, you will keep sent messages from being saved on the local PST folder.
    Pocket Outlook is a completely different thing from the desktop version.
    I'm running into the same problem my self, getting three different versions of deleted and sent items. (Using a Windows Mobile device, Zimbra webif and a Sony Ericsson phone)

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by repvik View Post
    Pocket Outlook is a completely different thing from the desktop version.
    I'm running into the same problem my self, getting three different versions of deleted and sent items. (Using a Windows Mobile device, Zimbra webif and a Sony Ericsson phone)
    You do realise that you're replying to a thread that's two years and nine months old, don't you? If you have a problem then start a new thread and describe your problem in detail including Zimbra version and release, operating system and which component of Zimbra is having the problem.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You do realise that you're replying to a thread that's two years and nine months old, don't you? If you have a problem then start a new thread and describe your problem in detail including Zimbra version and release, operating system and which component of Zimbra is having the problem.
    I did, after I posted the message. Why exactly should I start yet another thread on the same problem? This problem hasn't been "solved".

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by repvik View Post
    I did, after I posted the message. Why exactly should I start yet another thread on the same problem? This problem hasn't been "solved".
    For the very simple reason that Zimbra (and all the operating systems and product features) has changed completely since the original post was made. The other reason is that this thread was about the MAC mail.app.

If you'd also look at post #4 & #5 in this thread you'll see that the original posters problem was actually resolved.

Apart from a product name, you've given absolutely no information about what versions of any of the products you're using - that doesn't help in trying to fix your problem. So, to restate, don't post to a thread that's almost three years old and start a new thread with a description of your problem including the details I asked for earlier.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    For the very simple reason that Zimbra (and all the operating systems and product features) has changed completely since the original post was made. The other reason is that this thread was about the MAC mail.app.

If you'd also look at post #4 & #5 in this thread you'll see that the original posters problem was actually resolved.

Apart from a product name, you've given absolutely no information about what versions of any of the products you're using - that doesn't help in trying to fix your problem. So, to restate, don't post to a thread that's almost three years old and start a new thread with a description of your problem including the details I asked for earlier.
    You seem reasonably braindead, tbh.
    The problem wasn't just with the MAC mail.app, but also pocket outlook.
    #5 is completely unrelated to the problem (as I already stated in my first post), and #4 only solves part of it (and not the part that I enquired about).
    I was considering purchasing zimbra for resale, but I can see that the employees don't even bother to try to make the company look good outwards.

Thank you for your non-help and arrogance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information