Thread: Searching in the trash

p24t is offline Moderator

Default Searching in the trash

I had a user come asking about searches today. He was looking for something in his trash.

Using the advanced search, he entered in the person's name (carl) in Content, and selected 'Also search Trash' - and it pulled up nothing but what was in his inbox. When I clicked the Folder tab, and selected the Trash folder, then it pulled up the results from the Trash.

When I enter in the name into the search bar, the inbox results are the only ones again. If I enter "in:trash carl", it then pulls up the trash results.

------

I was able to reproduce this on several computers/OS's. I sent myself an email with 'carl' in the message body. I then deleted the incoming message, leaving a copy in sent and one in trash.

The user already has the 'Include Trash Folder in Searches' option enabled in his Preferences, which doesn't seem to do anything. If I enable the 'Include Junk Folder in Searches' as well, then items in the Trash come up in the results.

------

Now, lastly, when using the Advanced search, trying to search in the Trash, if the option 'Also search Junk' is enabled, while the 'Include Junk Folder in Searches' is disabled, then searching in the Trash folder does not work at all.

------

Okay, to re-iterate, since this is long and confusing: (search strings are in quotes)

1. I have the default 'search in trash' enabled.

• Simple search does not bring up results in the Trash.
    • A search of "in:trash carl" brings up the proper results.
    • Going to advanced search, using the 'basic' search filter. Enter 'carl' for content, trash is checked by default. No results. "content:(carl)"
    • Add folder filter, select Trash folder. Proper results. "content:(carl) in:trash"
    • If I also check 'Also search Junk' at the basic filter, the trash results disappear. "content:(carl) is:anywhere not in:trash in:trash"

2. I have both default 'search in trash' and 'search in junk' enabled.

• Simple search brings up proper results including items in trash.
    • Advanced search, basic search filter. 'carl' in content works, both junk and trash were selected by default. "content:(carl)"
    • Selecting folder filter, trash folder, produces proper results. "content:(carl) in:trash"

So the search feature appears to work properly in the trash, but only if the 'junk' filter option is on in the preferences, and not just selected in the 'Basic Search' filter. And the trash option in the preferences doesn't seem to work at all.

Can anyone wrap their head around this post? I'm not sure I can at this point.

(oh, and this is my 5.0.9 NE just to be clear)

p24t is offline Moderator

Well no one's said I'm crazy, so I posted the bug:

Bug 31875 – Searching problem in Trash

blazeking is offline Advanced Member

I'll vote on that... and thank you for that write-up. I was having a hard time reproducing this problem, as the "Also search Trash" works for me but not for one of my users.

slally is offline Active Member

Yeah, got the same thing here. NE 5.0.9. Had my first user ask about it today.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by slally View Post
    Yeah, got the same thing here. NE 5.0.9. Had my first user ask about it today.
    Well, if you look at the original bug report (the one above was a duplicate) or Product Portal you'll see that was fixed in 5.0.10.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information