Thread: Spam Idea: aliases to the training address

Baylink is offline Elite Member

Default Spam Idea: aliases to the training address

I just had a flash.

In another thread somewhere today, I asked about training the spam system by feeding it lots of spam that ended up in mailboxes that were never advertised in my domain, but were for valid local users (I shared the machine with a group that used it for Samba storage).

So what about this idea? Pick non-used names for mailboxes in your domain that are likely targets for dictionary attacks, and alias them onto the spam training account.

Instant free spam training.

If you commercialize the idea, I want a free license. :-)
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Good idea, and one that some people already use, but remember the downside in that your bayes could also be poisoned as you are not controlling what information is being trained.

Well, ok, but if I have 38k messages in a mailbox -- and I know they're all spam, because the email address was never valid, what would I filter for to avoid poisoning, and much more to the point... *how*?
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Are you sure that every email is a SPAM ? What happens if somebody has typed in a email address incorrectly by accident

I am absolutely sure, yes. That domain had *two* active mailboxes on it, "jra" and "asp"; I'm sure you'll agree that neither of those looks remotely like a dictionary attack target.

This idea might not be suitable for everyone, but I think it will probably work for me.

brained is offline Loyal Member

Hide bogus email addresses in your web site (White text on White background, etc). Use random characters for the actual addresses. Set these addresses as the aliases for your spam account.

Poof!

No more harvester spam.

Is it possible to set such addresses as aliases on the spam training account, as I infer, or won't that work?

Thread Information