Thread: [SOLVED] Relay all mail.

Nitecon is offline Junior Member

Default [SOLVED] Relay all mail.

Good morning folks!

I have an interesting problem. I have one domain for 2 offices and due to several internet connection issues at the second office I installed a second server. The reason for this is if the internet drops out then the people internally in that office can still mail each other which is very important. The main office works the same way.

So I have 2 zimbra open source servers, 1 domain. What I would like to do is relay all mail through an external MTA reason being, I don't have user1@domain.com on the secondary server. But since the domain is the same it sends me an email back that it is undeliverable because the user does not exist, even though the user does exist... on another server.

Is there a way to relay both local and external mail through a smart host / ISP?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Will.

bdial is offline Moderator

go to the admin interface under servers and choose your mailbox server. go to the mta tab and change both the Web mail MTA Hostname: and Relay MTA for external delivery: to be your isp

Nitecon is offline Junior Member

I don't like it when things are this easy! Now all the M$ guys are going to want to use my server too and then break the rest of it!

Thanks for the help bdial!

lwhite is offline Junior Member

Default Relay only *some* mail

Is there a way to do this with only *some* of the mail? Basically, my distribution lists are still being managed by my external MTA and, rather than have two copies of each DL, I would like to tell zimbra to relay mail for dl1, dl2, dl3, etc but use the local MTA for user1, user2, etc.

Is this possible?

lwhite is offline Junior Member

Default Solved

I discovered the answer to this referencing Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki. Basically, I told Zimbra to deliver all unknown email addresses to our outside provider (who is managing the DLs for now). For example, email to user1@example.com gets routed by Zimbra and dl1@example.com gets redirected to our external provider who sees it as a DL and then sends it back in as the individual email accounts.

I also need to redirect mail from certain accounts through a shell script (basically to create tickets when email comes to our support mailbox). I did this by creating a new Zimbra domain with our internal DNS zone (examplei.com) and told zimbra (using the split_domain techniques above) to send any "unknown" (read: all) addresses to a server that has a more traditional postfix running and uses a procmail rule to shell exec and create our ticket. To connect the two together, I put a forward rule into support@example.com to forward to support@examplei.com.

Thread Information