Thread: Force login using firstname/lastname

jreinhart is offline Senior Member

Default Force login using firstname/lastname

Hi all,

Thanks in advance - I know someone will help me here. The community rocks .

I have a situation where the owner of a Zimbra server wants all of his users to log in to the Zimbra web interface using "firstnamelastname". The problem is that their e-mail addresses before we implemented Zimbra were "firstname@domain.com" so I have added each of those as an alias so that mail gets routed correctly. For example, Bob Smith is:

bobsmith@domain.com

But he has an alias as:

bob@domain.com

This is done, of course, so that mail is routed correctly for messages sent to "bob@domain.com" and works fine, but the users seem to be able to log in as "bob."

Is there a way I can fix this? Of course I need mail for bob@domain.com to be routed correctly, but I also need to force the users to log in as bobsmith.

Thanks!

- Jesse
    Last edited by jreinhart; 09-09-2008 at 10:49 AM.

uxbod is offline Moderator

I have a normal ZCS account and have just created a alias on my account through the Admin GUI and have been able to login using that. All looks good to me Have you tried it yet ? Also, what version of ZCS are you running
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v
    go on update your profile

bdial is offline Moderator

is the actual account bob@domain.com, that is they cannot login as bobsmith? Their username isn't tied to their e-mail address really. If I understand you correctly, you actually want to rename their username to bobsmith@domain.com and then make bob@domain.com the alias.

The account name in the admin console is "bobsmith" created in the domain "domain.com."

There is an alias created as "bob@domain.com."

So his mailbox receives mail sent to bobsmith@domain.com AND bob@domain.com.

I'm not having trouble logging in as "bob" - the problem is that I CAN log in as "bob."

I want the users to log in using bobsmith, not bob.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't really care, but the owner wants to force the users to log in with firstnamelastname because he wants it as an added security level.

Thanks for the quick responses!

- Jesse

uxbod is offline Moderator

Sorry I am a bit lost. So I have a user x@domain.com, but they want y@domain.com. So I create a alias for y@domain.com on x@domain.com? This works but what security advantage does it offer ???

bdial is offline Moderator

I think the issue is just that he wants a user to be able to login only as his username and not as an alias. I wasn't even aware you could login using aliases

Bdial you've got it right...I know it's confusing, primarily because there's not much of a reason for it.

The thought process of the owner is that it's harder to hack someone's account if their login is their firstname/lastname, and if their e-mails only come from firstname.

Anyone know how to force login as username? I just verified...yes you can log in as an alias.

Thanks.

- Jesse

Baylink is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by jreinhart View Post
    If it were up to me, I wouldn't really care, but the owner wants to force the users to log in with firstnamelastname because he wants it as an added security level.
    Then your job is to explain to said owner why that doesn't remotely actually *do that*.

If nothing else, ask him what he expects to do when he hires someone with the same name as him.

There's a piece somewhere on the web, which I can never find, which explains why *any* protocol for generating mailbox names is guaranteed to fail, usually in the worst possible way. It was written by Eric Allman. Yes, that Eric Allman.

It notes that there were *three* Stephen R. Bourne's at Bell Labs; two of them with offices *on the same hallway*.

What do you do with *that*?

Human names are lousy unique identifiers.

And I'm an authority on naming. :-)
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

Thread Information