Thread: Optimize for just one domain installation?

graffiti is offline Loyal Member

Default Optimize for just one domain installation?

Hi Zimbra folks,

First off, I think it's so great that Zimbra let me to manage multiple domains that easy but when I'm going to deploy Zimbra I realized one fact: only ISPs really need that feature, other companies often just have only one domain.

Zimbra is designed to run with multiple domains so I think there are probaby some places where I can tune my one-domain installation to achieve the best performance. The first place comes up my mind is the LDAP filter. I take a look at /opt/zimbra/conf/ldap*.cf and wonder how many percent can I gain if I give search_base a value, i.e "dc=example, dc=com"? Maybe it's not so much but just a few percent is enough to make change. And there will other places, rite?

I think it'd be great if when installing, Zimbra will ask something like "Is this [www.example.com] your only domain?" and if the answer is yes, Zimbra will auto-tweak the configuration to take advantages of the case.

What do you think?

Regards,

-g

Default Why no answer?

Please let me know what's wrong with my question. I just want to know how to optimize my installation.

TIA,

-g

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default Nothing wrong with your question

While there would undoubtedly be some small performance gains from hardcoding the ldap lookups in postfix, that portion of the transaction is such a small part of the load, especially in a small installation, it's not likely that it would result in a noticeable performance gain.

We don't optimize for this scenario largely because, while it is suitable for use in a single-domain, small install system, Zimbra is designed as a flexible solution for many scenarios.

If you only want to run one domain, we've designed a quick and (relatively) painless install process. If you want to run multiple domains, we've also provided tools to manage that easily.

That said - we also made it open source So, if you want to optimize the ldap lookups for a single domain, go for it! A good place to start would be by checking zimbra/postfix/conf/main.cf for the various ldap mapping files, and check those files for domain lookups.

Thx for your anwser. There's no doubt about the flexibility of Zimbra, I love it pretty much. One more question, eesides postfix stuff, what else (ie. in Zimbra-server code) do I need to take a look?

Thx again.

-g

Thread Information