Thread: Solving storage growth conundrum

shawnlhood is offline Active Member

Default Solving storage growth conundrum

My organization has a Zimbra server at a managed hosting provider. Our mailstore is about to exceed the 500GB that is available on internal storage. Unfortunately, DAS/NAS/SAN storage at this provider is way too expensive for us. I can think of a couple of options:

1) Relocate archive/discovery mailboxes to a local Zimbra server

2) Use Zimbra HSM to archive mail older than x days to a volume at our headquarters via NFS, sshfs, or something similar.

I think option 1 is ideal for us, but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. Perhaps configure an identical server with the .archive domain and have .archive-bound mail routed here. Would this pose a licensing problem?

Option 2 seems like a bad idea. Too many moving moving pieces, performance considerations, etc. Although the messages stored on the NFS share would be rarely accessed by users, there may be some other implications (e.g. Would overall mail performance suffer if the share went down?)

Halp! I need some guidance.

bdial is offline Moderator

you don't need to make a second standalone server. zimbra can have multiple mailbox servers. the licensing is per user not per server so you could just create another zimbra server in hte same domain in-house and just migrate the archive account to that.

Theres a multiserver install guide as well as a wiki article Installation-Planning for Multi-Server Install - Zimbra :: Wiki

bdial is offline Moderator

once you have the server added to your zimbra installation, you can go into the admin web interface, go to the user properties and choose to migrate account. it will give you a list of mialbox servers to choose from. theres also a zmmailboxmove command line util you can use.

Yeah, I just figured this out. I'm looking for information on migrating the account now. Any recommended reference/wiki page?

Shawn

And now I just found the zmmailbox move command.

Shawn

Thread Information