Thread: Bad to disable Anti-virus/spam on active queue?

Default Bad to disable Anti-virus/spam on active queue?

Hi,

Having a Zimbra server (4.5.8 GPL) that struggling at the moment. Someone in our company decided to send out a mass mail to lots and lots of clients and this is filling up our active queue, as the server is struggling to cope with incoming and normal outgoing messages.

By disabling anti-virus and anti-spam, while the server is processing an active queue, will this cause any potential problems and will this actually take effect immediately? I ask, because I believe, a while back, I did something similar when we were first setting up Zimbra (and trying to setup a config that works) and I seem to recall it resulted messages being deferred. However, I can't remember if that was it exactly or if it was a result of some other problem, hence why I ask.

Thanks again. I just want these emails to clear out asap, and then we will speak to people in our company about best practices until we upgrade

Jbrabander is offline Elite Member

Well...first, I'd recommend walking into the users office and disabling their keyboard with a pair of hedge clippers...

I don't know that I'd disable the anti-spam and anti-virus though. Just adds a potentially huge headache if something nasty comes in.

Haha... if only I could...

Good point, I suppose I should just let handle it. It concerns me a bit that on a dell server with quad xeon processors and 2 gb ram, the load seems to be exceptional. Almost half our swap drive is being used (1215 mb out of 2863 mb). Is this fairly normal? Is there any way to tweak some performance out of Zimbra?

I'm interested to see what more senior users of Zimbra have to say, but I'd recommend that if at all possible, see if your other users can refrain from using email until the queue clears out. I'd think that would help a little at least. Should slow down the number of extra messages being added to the outgoing queue.

Nox
    Nox is offline Active Member

What is the exact quantity of messages we are talking about? Hundreds? Thousands?

I definately would not lower your AV/AS shield. If your server is sending and recieving messages in the quantity you allude to, you are inviting disaster.

I am a big fan of the hedge clippers solution personally.

quietas is offline Elite Member

One thing to note, 2gb is really under spec for Zimbra. They recommend 4+gb these days. I'm running 4gb and it is using 3.2gb without hitting the swap normally. Once I go full production I'll probably beusing 8gb.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

Quote Originally Posted by quietas View Post
    One thing to note, 2gb is really under spec for Zimbra. They recommend 4+gb these days. I'm running 4gb and it is using 3.2gb without hitting the swap normally. Once I go full production I'll probably beusing 8gb.
    I agree. 2GB makes for a good desktop machine, but is pretty low for an email server. Good catch quietas!

I agree that 2gb isn't much. My Laptop has more than that! :P but it's still a fair bit. its enough for a decent web & database server and we have postfix servers running on much much less than that. I suppose the whole zimbra platform has many more nuts and bolts holding it all together, from java tomcat to postfix to mysql to etc, so I suppose its not that unreasonable.

However, this is what came with the server. I could upgrade to 8gb or more, but that would mean re-installing it on a system with a 64bit kernel, so that would probably have to happen when we upgrade zimbra to the latest version.

I let zimbra do its thing. took it a few hours. yes, it was in the order of thousands of emails.

I'd imagine that 2GB might be ok on a normal basis if there aren't too many users, and depending on the typical mail load. But if mass mailings are a common thing, I'd go with more RAM personally. If you can get to 4GB without reinstalling, I'd give that a shot.

Thread Information