Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help training the spam filters

Jbrabander is offline Elite Member

Question Help training the spam filters

Help! I've got some questions on how to better train our spam filter. In the Admin console, I can see where we have 2 email accounts, 1 for ham, 1 for spam. I've got users that are getting various spam coming into their inbox. Should they forward the spam messages to the spam.3k62_avgxj@domain.com account? Would that help train the spam filter to catch these to begin with?

FYI...some of my users are on Outlook 2003, others are on Outlook 2000.
    Last edited by Jbrabander; 08-11-2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added a line.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If they are using the Web UI they only need to hit the Junk button and that forwards a copy to the spam folder. If they are using any external client then they need to forward the spam mail as an attachment (it must be an attachment) to the Spam folder itself.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Kind of a pain in the rump having to save the message just so it can be put in as an attachment, but at least it's a work around until the 5.5 version of Zimbra comes along. If I understand correctly, that version is supposed to be better at picking up info from the Outlook junk folders.

Nox
    Nox is offline Active Member

Can you subscribe to the Junk folder and just move it to that "subscribed" folder in Outlook?

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    Can you subscribe to the Junk folder and just move it to that "subscribed" folder in Outlook?
    In 2000, yes. But in Outlook 2003, the Junk folder is there anyway. But from other forum posts I've found, it doesn't sound like Zimbra is very good at using the Outlook Junk folders right now, regardless of the version.

quietas is offline Elite Member

To train up my new server I used the spam filters from the old box and forwarded all known spam to a temp account. I manually marked it all as spam until it was catching it all automatically. Then I started forwarding all mail to the same account, both spam and non-spam. It gave me a chance to mark all that it was not catching automatically. I did this for about 5 days total.

Also, I added in zen.spamhaus.org for an RBL and dropped the spam limits to 66/25 as have been recommended. Now maybe 1 in 100 get through and my users mark them as spam now.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

I suspect the the majority of spam is coming in on 3 or 4 accounts. One is listed on our homepage (webmaster), the others were older accounts that still exist as aliases to the user's new account. I'm not sure I can cut off those "old" aliases as they belong to our CEO, President, etc.

Other people don't get much spam that I'm aware of. But then again, they'd have to tell me about it!

Default Curious...

Out of curiosity, how much mail does it generally take to get the spam filter trained better? Or does it learn with each piece of mail sent to it?

quietas is offline Elite Member

I dumped about 15000 to it over a week and it seems to be working great. Each piece of mail marked as junk will tweak the filters a bit, more you feed it the better. Spamhuas helps a lot as well as lowering to 66/25.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

We've got the Spamhaus address entered in there. And our settings are at 66/33. I'm aware of 2 or 3 users that send items into their junk folder through the web interface pretty regularly. I'm curious though, if something gets flagged just as "Junk", does the spam filter pick it up from there on its' own? Or do I have to mark it as "not junk" and then as "junk" again for it to send to the spam filter?

I can't wait until the 5.5 version of Zimbra comes out. It's supposed to be able to take "junk" from your Outlook junk folders and train the spam filter itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information