Thread: Permit sending to distribution lists only to authenticated users

sgros is offline Intermediate Member

Default Permit sending to distribution lists only to authenticated users

Hi all!

Is there any way Zimbra can be configured to permit sending mail to distribution lists only to authenticated users?

The problem I have is that we have a distribution list with many addresses from the outside of the organization. Now, I just figured out that one spammer sent mail to this list and the mail was delivered to all recipients. As all our distribution lists are only used by members of the organization, the best solution, and most secure, would be to allow sending mail only to authenticated users.

Thanks,
    Stjepan

uxbod is offline Moderator

Thanks for the welcome.

Now, if I understand correctly, this page on Wiki describes how to select which users can send email to protected addresses and Zimbra enforces this by checking MAIL FROM command?

What I wanted is that Zimbra allows sending to the protected mail address no matter what MAIL FROM is as long as the user is properly authenticated to postfix.

Stjepan

dljordaneku is offline Elite Member

If you put their address in the distribution list wouldn't they be authenticated users? If you tell Zimbra that the that user gets emails from that list are you not in fact in one way authenticating that user?

For us we used our external spam filter to stop any emails coming to that list from the outside. If you don't have an external spam filter then I would think the best solution would be the Postfix fix in the wiki article.

dj

Quote Originally Posted by dljordaneku View Post
    If you put their address in the distribution list wouldn't they be authenticated users? If you tell Zimbra that the that user gets emails from that list are you not in fact in one way authenticating that user?
    Yes. But everything depends on how you define "authenticated" and what your requirements are. My problem are not the local users, but the outside spammers. Using default setup, outside spammer can send an email to distribution list without any problem. Applying "fix" from wikipage it has a minor inconvenience that he has to know a single valid user from this distribution list.

So, I was wondering if it's possible to restrict sending an email message to a distribution list only after successful AUTH exchange with postfix. That way, there is no way for spammer (attacker) to send an email to a distribution list unless he compromises someone's account which is problem for itself.

For us we used our external spam filter to stop any emails coming to that list from the outside. If you don't have an external spam filter then I would think the best solution would be the Postfix fix in the wiki article.
    Ok, I guess that the only way to proceed forward is to follow guidelines given on the wiki page.

Thanks.
    S

jwriteclub is offline Intermediate Member

Default Mailing Lists

Bump:

Is there any progress on a solution for this and the bug in bugzilla?

~ Christopher

mmorse is offline Moderator

jwriteclub is offline Intermediate Member

GNR = version 6?

Thread Information