Thread: Zimbra integration with JWChat

frankman is offline Senior Member

Question Zimbra integration with JWChat

I'm trying to get JWChat (or any other web-based chat) to use the jabber server in Zimbra.

3 reasons for this: 1) Some users cannot install another jabber client (such as Pidgin, etc. for whatever reasons); 2) my outgoing bandwidth is too slow and/or the web client is a bit too thick for the outgoing bandwidth.; 3) the IM window isn't detachable (bug 28963).

JWChat is using ejabberd and is asking for the HTTP-binding and HTTP-Polling.

I've already looked at the wiki's list of ports, but it doesn't say.

What ports for jabber server does Zimbra use? Has anyone gotten jwchat (or any other web-based chat) to work with Zimbra?

elisa is offline Active Member

Default jwchat - Zimbra integration

Hi frankman,

I'm interested in jwchat- Zimbra IM server integration too, but after having search in the web for long time I haven't find an answer.

Did you find an answer or a solution for this integration?

Thank you

Elisa

dalmate is offline Elite Member

In my company,we maked by we used zimlet and install an openfire server. And by zimlet, we send request and receive response to / from openfire server.
    openfire server + zimlet in zimbra = we have a chat server in zimbra

frankman is offline Senior Member

Elisa, Thanks for responding. Sadly, I haven't found any solution to this.

Chat users want to be able to invite others into a chat conversation and Zimbra's webbased interface doesn't have that feature.

The other IM clients (ie. Pidgin, Adium, etc.,) can utilize the conferencing room feature in openfire, but it's too complicated to use. (i.e you need to know the chat room name, server name, etc. etc.) to be able to use it and normal, non-tech users would get confused, then not use it.

Microsoft's Communication Server (a corporate chat server) + their corporate messenger is much more intuitive. In a 1-1 chat conversation, you can just "invite a buddy" from your buddy list and you can easily have a 3 way chat.

Since I couldn't find anything that's open source like Microsoft's solution that's has the easy-to-use "inviting a buddy" feature, I wanted to go with a workaround solution of web based chat room. I found AJAX Chat (https://blueimp.net/ajax/) which is super fast, but I couldn't get it to authenticate with Zimbra.

If there's a solution to inviting other buddies into a chat conversation that's as intuitive and easy as Microsoft's solution, I may skip over the chat room idea completely.

dalmate, if your zimlet includes that inviting-other-buddies-to-the-chat-conversation feature, would you be willing to share the zimlet by posting it to Get or contribute Zimlets, UI themes, and languages in the Zimbra Gallery for other's to download?

dalmate is offline Elite Member

ok. We're in beta, so when we finish we'll upload for every one

Thread Information