Thread: Archiving the mailbox of a user who left

Yann2 is offline Active Member

Question Archiving the mailbox of a user who left

Hello,

In order to save our licenses I would like to be able to save the mailbox from one specific user to a file, and then to delete the mailbox. The file could then be opened either by thunderbird, or even better, Zimbra desktop? if we have a mail we need to get back.

Is this doable?
    Thanks for any help

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

You could enable POP for that user and pull the mail down into Thunderbird and save the profile off. I've also heard of users using Outlook .pst files to archive their mail off as well.

Dirk is offline Moderator

How about running a full backup for that one user account to a specific place and then writing that to a DVD or something, the data could then be restored in to the server if it was needed again?

zmbackup -f -a -z old.user@domain.tld -t /olduserbackup

dustys is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

We've wrestled with this problem for both our internal users and clients. Our only fear with doing a full backup of the account(s) is that once we upgrade, we can no longer restore those full backups to the production system or access them in any sort of client, thus the 'pst' solution. I'm a mistaken or confused? We have seen how the system moves older backups once we upgrade (depending on the upgrade).

It would be great if we could have some sort of mechanism to 'archive' accounts in some sort of Mbox or MailDIR, CSV, & ICS bundle in an automated fashion.

Dusty
    CoSentry - www.cosentry.com - Co-Location & Business Resiliency Solutions

quietas is offline Elite Member

I completely agree that as users leave there should be a way to back up their data and retire the account. Archive that off server or even locally. Once a user is retired it should not count against the license count since it is no longer in use and is not requiring email resources.

For now, I'd recommend adding a user to Outlook, then move the mail from the IMAP server of Zimbra to local Personal folders. Save that file off to you long term storage of choice. It's not ideal, but it will work till the guys at Zimbra get a solution in place.

I for one would prefer a retire style solution so that users can be kept in the system in a shut off state so that they can be reactivated if someone needs customer info for leagal reasons 2 years later. Or whatever.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

stl
    stl is offline Member

I recently posted about the same issue. It would just be nice if setting an account to 'closed' prevented it from being used against the license, but still allowed an administrator to view the messages if necessary. My solution ended up being installing Dovecot as a completely standalone, secondary IMAP server and migrating all the mail into it for the user account in question, then deleting the account out of Zimbra. Kind of lame but it was the least problematic.

quietas is offline Elite Member

You're right, it works and it's doable, but there should be a better solution.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

MOlin is offline Active Member

Default Archiving user accounts and attachment(s) with association

I am baffled that Zimbra does not offer a true way to archive a user account offline (for time limited storage) and to save attachment(s) associated with a specific email? These two issues are a drain on administration. First, associate leaves the company, why can I not store that account in an off-line state and not have it count toward my licensing? Secondly, associates receive attachments to emails with reference to the attachment, there has to be a way to save these attachments with the email body as well?

I have checked the archives. I have found nothing that makes these two tasks doable? Did I miss something?

Release 5.0.8_GA_2462.MACOSXx86, Zimbra, Inc.
    MACOSXx86 NETWORK edition

toolcaserp is offline Active Member

Question

Has anyone submitted a feature request into the bugtracking system for this? All of us who would like to see an archive mechanism implemented could vote for it, once it receives enough votes it would be considered for development by the dev team.

I would add my vote. We've had several people leave and I need to free up their accounts.

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

Check out the Zimbra blog from today.. Mike talked about a method to migrate from ZCS to ZCS and threw in some archiving options in there as well.

ZCS-to-ZCS Migrations » Zimbra :: Blog

Thread Information