Thread: How does name look up for the email routing takes place

venkimani1 is offline New Member

Default How does name look up for the email routing takes place

I am basically trying to integrate lotus ldap and zimbra ldap ! From the admin client i choose say abc.com and configure gal as both internal and external and configure the external to be lotus ldap ! I can see the addresses etc fine ! the problem comes when i have the lotus domain as well as abc.com
    I have tonnes of users in this and would n't want to migrate to a new system so soon ! when lotus is say mail1.abc.com and zimbra is say mail2.abc.com and should co-exist without alias ..........is it possible ? I know for sure how lotus work ....say for example for zimbra users i can create a seprate address book and can specify where the mail box reside for that particular address (zimbra or lotus ) specify and the routing takes place ...........there is not much mechanism like that .....feel bit of frustrting to undersand how the name look up works ...........i also try..ed to add domain which is totally diffrent say bcd.com and put a lotus server called bcd.com and in zimbra domain doc i configured gal as external ......all test ok but when i create a user it is a user in domain bcd.com in zimbra and not the actual bcd.com lotus server ...the abc.com server actually now acts as bcd.com instead of looking up the address book in lotus bcd.com and if the user exist route it over there ...........if some one is able to throw more light on how the ldap lookup and email routing works in zimbra i will very much appreciate it
    Thanks
    Venki

KevinH is offline Expert Member

What your trying to do is called split domain. There's some good information here:

http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Split_Domain
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

venkimani1 is offline New Member

Default question about zimbra ldap lookup

Thanks for your reply ! when we create a user iin zimbra with zimbramailTransport smtp:mail2.bcd.com for a particular user it does creates a mailbox for the particular user who resided on the other server ! He is not going to check his email in zimbra server hence why create a mailBox !!!!!
    I would just like to have a online lookup of both ldap (zimbra and lotus ) and see if the user not found in zimbra lookup lotus and if not found in lotus reject ! if found in lotus accept and route to lotus .....
    Something like that .............
    The second scenario which i would like is how to create a connector between zimbra and lotus (similar to the line of ms-exchange and lotus ) I am well versed in java and lotus.....and new to zimbra ! IS there a std set of procedure 's that i should go thru to write a program for that ! The basic idea as of now is to go thru IIOP which i think both lotus and zimbra will accept ! Let me know your thoughts
    The 3 rd question which i have is can i integrate zimbra with other content management system !!! is there any steps for the apache server with in zimbra very diffrent from regular apache server .....can i customize the login page as per my needs and will it be a licence violation
    Thanks
    Venki

KevinH is offline Expert Member

I don't think we create the mailbox until mail comes in. If we do that a bug. Fell free to file it in bugzilla.

If you just want to route mail to lotus if the user is not in Zimbra make lotus your smart host MTA. Then any address that's not found will just go to lotus.

We use Tomcat for our web front end. Apache is just for the spell server. If you want to make changes they need to be 1) open sourced and 2) you need to keep the Zimbra logo in place.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thread Information