Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] How to have a catchall and reject spam sent to specific addresses?

frankman is offline Senior Member

Default [SOLVED] How to have a catchall and reject spam sent to specific addresses?

Hello.

I have a catchall account, so I get quite a bit of spam. Spamassassin correctly junks most of them. But I'm seeing that many of the spam keep using the same non-existing recipient (i.e. webpage@example.com, etc.).

When signing up with some services, I created throwaway accounts, so I need to keep a catchall.

How do I have a catchall account and *reject* those emails sent to non-existing accounts? I want those to be rejected to avoid backscatter and not even need to reach Spamassassin to process.

ZCS 5.0.7-64bit + CentOS 5.2

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Thanks for the link, but doesn't look quite like what I'm looking for. Sorry, I was not clear.

I signed up on some sites and entered a "fake" or "throwaway" email address, (ie. twitter.com@mydomain.com, etc.), but these addresses do not exist in Zimbra and will not be created. The catchall catches and deliver the email to me. From there, I can tell from the "To:" field where the mail came from.

But with the catchall, spam of course is getting in. But I noticed a lot of the spam is using the same email addresses (addresses I never created, like pren@mydomain.com, lxh@mydomain.com, info@mydomain.com, sales@mydomain.com, etc.).

Is there a way to *list* specific email addresses to reject (at the smtp level so spamassassin isn't involved) and still be able to keep the catchall account? I know this won't solve the spam problem, but it should reduce a significant amount of spam.

Quote Originally Posted by frankman View Post
    I signed up on some sites and entered a "fake" or "throwaway" email address, (ie. twitter.com@mydomain.com, etc.), but these addresses do not exist in Zimbra and will not be created. The catchall catches and deliver the email to me. From there, I can tell from the "To:" field where the mail came from.
    A catchall address is a spammers dream, you'll always get spam in there.

Is there a way to *list* specific email addresses to reject (at the smtp level so spamassassin isn't involved) and still be able to keep the catchall account? I know this won't solve the spam problem, but it should reduce a significant amount of spam.
    You would be far better having the throwaway address as an alias of your normal account and you can still check the from and to headers. You can then modify the zmmta.cd option
    Code:
    smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient
    and change it from no to yes then restart postfix. That change will need to be made after each upgrade.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Smile

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You would be far better having the throwaway address as an alias of your normal account and you can still check the from and to headers.
    The problem is that I don't recall all the throaway addresses I created :-(.
    That's a good idea and seems to be the way to go going forward.

The problem is that I don't recall all the throaway addresses I created :-(.
    It's difficult to know what to sugegst in this case. Perhaps you could add the address that you do remember as an alias and keep the catchall for a couple of weeks and see what turns up. Do you remember the sites you've subscribed to with these throwaway addresses? If you do then I'd kill the catchall account after a while and then just subscribe again with new throwaway addresses that would now be created as an alias on your normal account. It's about the best I can think of at the moment, perhaps someone will give you a more inventive suggestion.
    Regards

Bill

I scanned and found about 40 throwaway addresses, but I'm sure there's more out there.

By the way...
    Is there anyway to bulk add/import aliases?
    And is there anyway to export a list them to a file? I want to be able to sort them alphabetically to view them.

You can use zmprov to list the aliases for an account:
    Code:
    zmprov ga account@yourdomain.com | grep zimbraMailAlias
    you'd have to script the add but you can do it with zmprov:

Code:
    addAccountAlias(aaa) {name@domain|id} {alias@domain}
    Regards

Bill

Great, both worked!

For anyone else reading this, a sample of the command is here)

Thanks, Bill!

Glad you've got it working.
    Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information