Thread: POP3 Stops Responding

msf004 is offline Loyal Member

Default POP3 Stops Responding

We have ran Network Edition 4.5.6 for over a year and recently we finally upgraded to 4.5.11 (yes - baby steps, we did not yet go to 5.x).

However, ever since the upgrade to 4.5.11 every 1-3 days the POP3 stops responding. Basically all of our customers using POP3 stop receiving email.

Through tests during these times I can tell you that IMAP still works, SMTP still works (everyone can send emails). However, just our customer using POP3 stop receiving emails.

The fix, so far, is to perform a zmcontrol stop/start which corrects the problem for a few days.

Does anyone have any ideas, where I should look for possible problems, etc.

Thank you for any assistance or information,
    -Marc

bdial is offline Moderator

when it stops working, is the server still listening on port 110 (pop3 port) or do you get connection refused o nthat port?

Default Port 110

That is a good question. Next time it happens I will try to telnet to port 110 and see what happens.

I know that from the customers perspective, their email clients are telling them that the "POP Email Server is Not Respondind". However, that could be interpreted a few ways being that is just a message from Outlook.

Thanks,
    -Marc

Default Update w/ Some Additional Info

I have learned today that it is not only POP3 that stops responding, but also IMAP. This morning, again, everyone's email stopped working.

This seems to occur about every 48 hours. At least for the past 10 days, every other morning no one can connect to mail.

Again, the only change I made was to upgrade from 4.5.6 to 4.5.11. (I guess in the future if something is not broke don't fix it; at least I have heard that somewhere before).

Unfortunately, by the time I realized it had happened again this morning, I had 20 customers and 3 employees p!ssed - so I did not troubleshoot too much. I just did the zmcontrol stop/start and everything started working fine.

Again, when this happens SMTP still works - I can SEND out mail. Just no one can receive mail.

Does anyone have any ideas at what to look at? Should I just open a ticket w/ Zimbra? Suggestions?

Thanks,
    -Marc

maumar is offline Elite Member

Hello
    I have the same issue; I have upgraded from 8.0.2 to 8.0.3 (CentOS 6.4) one month ago. By a few days, customers complain that pop3 clients do not receive emails, I can telnet 110 port, the daemon is listening but after username and password connection is hanging; I have to exec zmmailboxdctl restart, very ugly. IMAP is ok, instead, when POP3 is not working

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

Stop hijacking old threads. Clearly your issue would have zero to do with a ZCS 4.5 installation. Learn how to create new issues.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Thread Information