Thread: moving from 32bit to 64bit in multiserver

bdial is offline Moderator

Default moving from 32bit to 64bit in multiserver

I'm preparing to upgrade a mailbox server in a multiserver setup where i have a mta serve,r ldap server and mailbox server. In fact, this is one of 2 mailbox servers and the rest of the zimbra system will stay up during hte process. I've been browsing the wiki article Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki but that seems more directed for when you have everything on one server.

If I try to do a regular install on the new 64bit server, I assume that wehn I point it to our zimbra-ldap server it will fail trying to create the server in ldap because the server already exists.

I am thinking of doing a install -s to do a software install only, then copying the localconfig.xml and all the license, store, mysql data over and then seeing what kind of errors I have from there.

Does anyone have any advice in this situation?

jwtadmin is offline Intermediate Member

We are looking to do the same with our 6 stores and are wary of the doc referenced above. My guess is that if we call we'll get the "it should work" answer and then we will end up finding out where it fails.

If anyone has experience with a multi server 5.0.x 32 - 64 upgrade we would like to hear it!
    John Turner
    Brandeis University
    Waltham MA

I have migrated our ldap and mta server so far. it actually didn't go that bad I basicly just used the relevant parts of that wiki article for the server I was working on. There were a couple of times that when setting hte new server up, I missed changing a setting to what it used to be like a password here or there. I wasn't sure if I should just copy the old localconfig.xml over. Luckily, it was pretty easy to figure out which password I was missing and set it post installation.

Of course the mailbox server is the one I worry about the most, i'll post my results of that when I finish it maybe this weekend.

Klug is offline Moderator

Once the LDAP is OK (that's the trickiest part) you should not have any issue with the mailboxes server(s).

Rambo is offline Junior Member

Are there any problems with different servers having different architectures in a multi-server install?

No. I am currently running my ldap and mta servers on 64bit, and my mailbox server on 32bit.

Thread Information