Thread: New User/Must Change Password oddity...

ssatre is offline Active Member

Default New User/Must Change Password oddity...

So I just happened to be in the office when one of our new staff tried to log in to her email account for the first time. SOP is to set up all new accounts with a default password and check the "Must change password" option so they need to input a new password at their first login.

The new user logged in with the defaults and was prompted to enter a new password. At that time, she mistyped one of them and was prompted to try again ("new passwords must match"). She carefully retyped and submitted- this time, a very curious error came up about an invalid username and password. No matter what we tried to type in for the new password, we would always get that error. I had her close the browser and try again with the same results (minus the mistype of the password).

Thinking it could be an IE weirdness, I had her switch to FF3 and try again. Same sequence of events. At that point I logged in to the Admin console and pulled up her account which showed her as "Never logged in" (which, technically, I guess she never had), so I unchecked the "Must change password" option, and had her try again. With the defaults unedited except for that one change, she was able to log in, go to her preferences and change her password from there with no problem.

I haven't had any other reports from the new users, so I don't know if anyone else has had the same difficulty. I'm stumped.

cbandy is offline New Member

We just ran into this as well when a user with "zimbraPasswordMustChange: TRUE" logged into a virtual host using only their short-login (lacking @domain.com). The user was unable to proceed until they input their full-login (user@domain.com) in the username field.

This seems to be a bug, can anyone else confirm?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a domain, "domain.com"
    2. Give it a virtual host, "mail.domain.com"
    3. Set its public service host name, "mail.domain.com"
    4. Create a user, "testuser@domain.com" with "Must change password" checked/enabled.
    5. Use the web interface at "mail.domain.com"
    6. Login using the short-login "testuser"
    7. User is prompted for a new password.
    8. Fill in the new password fields appropriately
    9. Click "Log In"
    10. An error appears about invalid "username or password"

P.S. These seem related:

Can't login when i change the password
    Bug 24729 – Rolling Upgrade: Admin console - Default domain is not working on cross server
    Last edited by cbandy; 09-08-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Change references into links

ewilen is offline Moderator

I just ran into this on 5.0.16 NE. Tested bulk provision with empty password field in the CSV file, so the test account got a random password and was set to "must change password".

When I go to the virtual host URL for that user and log in, I am prompted to choose a new password, with the Username and (old) Password fields pre-filled. Username is just filled as <username> not <username>@<domain>.

Entering a password in New Password and Confirm, then clicking Log In, gets
    The username or password is incorrect. Verify that CAPS LOCK is not on, and then retype the current username and password.
    If I change the Username field to <username>@<domain>, all is well.

EDIT: the bug has even worse effects if the user is setting up ZCO and only enters the username without domain. Effectively you get into a loop and must force quit Outlook.
    Last edited by ewilen; 06-08-2009 at 01:45 PM.

mmorse is offline Moderator

ewilen is offline Moderator

Thanks, I'm under a deadline to finish a production install of ZCS but I'll try to file after things calm down.

blazeking is offline Advanced Member

I had this problem in our install last year, and am continually asked for this to be fixed. I noticed the bugs above have been combined into one (Bug 36224 - Hosted: Change Password Form Problems), but am I really the only person to vote on any of this? I can't be the only person this affects. Am I missing something?

Thread Information