Thread: Finding bugs - use support ticket, file bugzilla, or PM someone?

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

Default Finding bugs - use support ticket, file bugzilla, or PM someone?

In the last 3-4 days (I'm in the middle of our migration), I've had two small issues pointed out to me - an email that will not display (except as raw/original format in the web client), and an Excel file that you cannot add (from being an attachment) to the "Briefcase". These are not big issues by any stretch, and really dont' impact us much other than being a minor annoyance, but in the community spirit, I'd like to somehow report them to Zimbra, as they are clearly a corner case that is not being handled - it makes them better. But here is my issue:

1) do I burn a support ticket on these items? Seems wasteful, really, and I dont' have that many to begin with.

2) if I file a bugzilla item, then the sample message/Excel file becomes public record... and maybe these are messages that I dont' really want public.

3) I can post here, and hope a Zimbra employee says "hey, PM me the two items in question" and they make a bug private...

So I suppose I'm asking what others do, as well as subtly doing No. 3

PS - upgraded to 5.0.7 last night, so far looks good. can't wait to test the notification options (sound, browser flashing)

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If you have bugs to report then file a support case, that does not use one of your Support Incidents. To quote from the Support Program Overview:

Support Incidents determined to be enhancement requests or bug reports do not count against your allotted Support Incidents.
    You can file a bugzilla entry and mark the initial description as Private but there is no such thing as an employee fixing a 'private bug'.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default That is good to know, but...

if for some reason it is _not_ determined to be a bug - say "the email itself is malformed", or "the Excel file in question is the problem", or WORKSFORME, I've still burned two support tickets on inconsequential issues. Nevertheless, I might still take a chance, if I never try it then I won't know...

thanks,
    greg

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You can, as you've already said, post the issue in the forums and see if a developer spots it. You'd need to give a good description and full details of the problem.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default OK, figured out the first issue

Will file a bug... steps to reproduce.

Create two excel files (likely work with any format)... name one "June '08 results.xls" and name the other "June 08 results.xls". Email as attachments. With the first file, you do not (from the email) get a dialog box when you select "Add to Briefcase", but you do on the second file. It seems that the apostrophe ' mark is causing the problem

Note that you _can_ import the file directly from the Briefcase tab, the only thing that is broken is the "add to briefcase" from the email itself.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Confirmed it.

If you want to increase the bug's priority / important to you but not addressed after sometime, you can always open a ticket "Please consider this an request not docking against my ticket allotment, and tag this support ticket to bug 29681."

Good to read sometime: Open Source Product Management: How do features get into Zimbra?

In short, no need to Private Message it to us You could always attach it to the bug report publicly, or privately from the get go by checking "Make bug visible only to reporter and Zimbra" or leave the bug public, attach, then ask to have just that particular attachment marked private and someone will be by shortly to do so).

Thread Information