Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multiple IP addresses

gtr33m is offline Loyal Member

I've got a similar setup with redundant internet connections with 2 static IPs.

My external DNS mx records are setup as per post #7, an mx record pointing to 'mail.domain.com' and a second mx record pointing to 'mail2.domain.com', and a A record pointing to each of the different static IP addresses.

Though I can ping both IP addresses, zimbra only responds to the first record which has a matching hostname. Does the fact that the second MX record points to 'mail2' when the zimbra server has a hostname of mail cause an issue. If so, is it possible for the zimbra server 'mail' to acknowledge the 'mail2' alias?
    Mark Hawkins

Medalist

serverprodigy is offline Intermediate Member

Sorry to bump an old thread but I cant' find an answer to this same question.

I have multiple domains hosted on my Zimbra server. Is it possible to assign a different IP for each domain? This is easy enough to do in DNS but can Zimbra listen on multiple IPs if the server is configured w/ them? I'm not talking about setting domains for client access, these would be the actual IPs assigned for each mx server so that each domain has it's own IP for mail -

mx.domain1.com - 192.168.1.1
    mx.domain2.com - 192.168.1.2

and so on.

Can I just assign the IPs to the mail servers in DNS and will Zimbra listen on all public interfaces and pick up on mail sent to each mx server/ IP without any special configuration?
    Last edited by serverprodigy; 07-22-2012 at 07:10 AM.

dcsec is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by gtr33m View Post
    I've got a similar setup with redundant internet connections with 2 static IPs.

My external DNS mx records are setup as per post #7, an mx record pointing to 'mail.domain.com' and a second mx record pointing to 'mail2.domain.com', and a A record pointing to each of the different static IP addresses.

Though I can ping both IP addresses, zimbra only responds to the first record which has a matching hostname. Does the fact that the second MX record points to 'mail2' when the zimbra server has a hostname of mail cause an issue. If so, is it possible for the zimbra server 'mail' to acknowledge the 'mail2' alias?
    Dear GRR33,

You are able to done with /etc/hosts file

example

192.168.1.254 mail.domain.com mail
    192.168.1.253 mail2.domain.com mail2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information