Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra Server Sizing

johnleboeuf3 is offline Member

Question Zimbra Server Sizing

Hello!

Our organization is very interested in the Zimbra product. I was wondering if there are any server sizing guidelines for building sizing and building a Zimbra system.

We currently have approximately 2500+ e-mail users, and if we decide to move to the Zimbra product we will need to know what kind of hardware will be required.

Thanks!

uxbod is offline Moderator

Are you looking to use FOSS or NE version ? If NE Zimbra sales would be able to help with sizing.

Our organization is currently looking at the FOSS (Open Source) Edition.
    We are starting to get serious about pushing Zimbra into production for 2500 users, and want to make sure we size our servers accordingly.

Thanks!

dspillett is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnleboeuf3 View Post
    Our organization is currently looking at the FOSS (Open Source) Edition.
    We are starting to get serious about pushing Zimbra into production for 2500 users, and want to make sure we size our servers accordingly.
    I can't help you personally (I only run a couple of small installs myself), but the questions or similar has come up a few times on the forum in my recent memory so you might find some useful information using the search function, specifically searching the installation and admin sections.

I'll give the Installation Forums another shot. If anyone else has any advice please let me know.

I would think that some of the Zimbra forum moderators might have access to some of that information, or possibly a referral to an organization that could assist in past server sizing results. I would also think there would be some kind of documentation for this as to sizing their paid product, and that these two products are rather similar.

Thank you!

mmorse is offline Moderator

We do have a several docs (different stuff for support, sales, professional services, hosting partners & vars etc) however they're not available to the general public without going through one of those branches first. You can vote for Bug 28000 - Customer accessible sizing guide

Here's a perfectly good example how everyone's needs are different: 100-500 user machine specs

However these questions are good to ask yourself & post answers on if you're looking for community feedback:
    Basic questions to consider in deployment sizing:

Total Number of Users?

Number of Active Users? (checking email, calendar, contacts, etc. at least once a day)

Number of Concurrent Users? (logging into the UI, checking email, calendar, contacts during Message Delivery Peak Period (see question below)

What percentage of total users will be using Webmail vs POP vs IMAP vs Mobile vs Outlook?
    For example 60% Webmail, 50% IMAP, 10% POP (I don't care if this adds up to 100% of the 10k user count, ie we can consider the fact that users may be accessing ZCS via multiple different clients)
    GAL lookups being done from those IMAP clients?

Message Delivery Peak Period in minutes?
    Period of time in minutes where message delivery (inbound + outbound) is the highest (i.e. from 10am to 12pm then 120 minutes)

Percentage Message Delivery Peak Workload?
    What percentage of workload is occurring during the message delivery peak period(s) (i.e. 80% of workload occurs from 10am to 12pm)

Mailbox Quota per user (MB)?

Average Mailbox Utilization Percentage % of Quota? (how much of that quota will they generally use) or Average Mailbox Size (MB)?

Will you be using the Zimbra AS/AV on Zimbra MTAs?

If no to above, would you have your third party Anti-Spam appliances querying Zimbra LDAP server to check on unknown recipients?

Total Incoming messages per day?

Total Prespam Incoming Messages per day? (Prespam = SPAM + LEGIT)

Total Postspam Incoming Messages per day? (Postspam = LEGIT)

Number of Postspam Incoming Messages per day? (Postspam = LEGIT)

Total Outgoing messages per day?

Number of Outging messages per user per day?

Average Message Size (KB)?

Percentage % of Messages with attachments?

Average Attachment Size (KB)?

Hardware
    Servers RAM/CPU?

Storage
    Disks? On-box storage (SCSI vs SATA) vs NAS vs SAN (& Fiber vs iSCSI etc etc) Use raid RAID10 not RAID5 for faster storage. Writes are slower in RAID5 & you are talking about lots of tiny files. Lots of threads on disks if you search. (The NE version has Hierarchical Storage Management which offloads mail after x days to your cheaper/older disks & RAID5 is usually fine for that, but you're not using NE.)

Below is the information that you requested to assist me in sizing the appropriate Zimbra product. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Total Number of Users? -- 3500

Number of Active Users? (checking email, calendar, contacts, etc. at least once a day) - 2000

Number of Concurrent Users? (logging into the UI, checking email, calendar, contacts during Message Delivery Peak Period (see question below) -- 3500

What percentage of total users will be using Webmail vs POP vs IMAP vs Mobile vs Outlook? -- 75% Outlook via IMAP, 25% Webmail Client, and 5% POP.

For example 60% Webmail, 50% IMAP, 10% POP (I don't care if this adds up to 100% of the 10k user count, ie we can consider the fact that users may be accessing ZCS via multiple different clients)
    GAL lookups being done from those IMAP clients? --If possible

Message Delivery Peak Period in minutes? -- 9AM to 5PM
    Period of time in minutes where message delivery (inbound + outbound) is the highest (i.e. from 10am to 12pm then 120 minutes)

Percentage Message Delivery Peak Workload? -- 65%
    What percentage of workload is occurring during the message delivery peak period(s) (i.e. 80% of workload occurs from 10am to 12pm)

Mailbox Quota per user (MB)? 3000 users @ 100MB - 300MB, 500 users @ 1GB - 2GB

Average Mailbox Utilization Percentage % of Quota? (how much of that quota will they generally use) or Average Mailbox Size (MB)? -- 50%

Will you be using the Zimbra AS/AV on Zimbra MTAs? -- NO

If no to above, would you have your third party Anti-Spam appliances querying Zimbra LDAP server to check on unknown recipients? -- YES

Total Incoming messages per day? -- 10000

Total Prespam Incoming Messages per day? (Prespam = SPAM + LEGIT) -- 52000

Total Postspam Incoming Messages per day? (Postspam = LEGIT) --

Total Outgoing messages per day? -- 6000

Number of Outging messages per user per day? -- 25

Average Message Size (KB)? -- 200k

Percentage % of Messages with attachments? -- 40% - 50%

Average Attachment Size (KB)? -- 700k

Hardware
    Servers RAM/CPU?
    -- This is where I need some guidance

Storage
    Disks? On-box storage (SCSI vs SATA) vs NAS vs SAN (& Fiber vs iSCSI etc etc) Use raid RAID10 not RAID5 for faster storage. Writes are slower in RAID5 & you are talking about lots of tiny files. Lots of threads on disks if you search. (The NE version has Hierarchical Storage Management which offloads mail after x days to your cheaper/older disks & RAID5 is usually fine for that, but you're not using NE.)
    -- This is where I need some guidance

Srikanth G is offline Active Member

Default Sizing for Zimbra

Hi All,

Even I have the same requirement ,

I want to deploy zimbra for 1000,so I need some basic sizing documentation for procuring the hardware for zimbra.

Kindly help me on the same requirement.

Regards,

Sree

uxbod is offline Moderator

Same requirement and not information for us to review ? What are the profile of your users ? Web or fat client access ? IMAP connections ? Please take the above post as a template and provide the necessary information.

Srikanth G is offline Active Member

Below is the information that you requested to assist me in sizing the appropriate Zimbra product. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Total Number of Users? -- 1000

Number of Active Users? (checking email, calendar, contacts, etc. at least once a day) - 1000

Number of Concurrent Users? (logging into the UI, checking email, calendar, contacts during Message Delivery Peak Period (see question below) -- 800

No POP and IMAP Users .

Message Delivery Peak Period in minutes? -- 9AM to 7PM

Percentage Message Delivery Peak Workload? -- 75%

Mailbox Quota per user (MB)? 1000 users @ 115MB
    Average Mailbox Utilization Percentage % of Quota? (how much of that quota will they generally use) or Average Mailbox Size (MB)? -- 60%

Will you be using the Zimbra AS/AV on Zimbra MTAs? -- NO

If no to above, would you have your third party Anti-Spam appliances querying Zimbra LDAP server to check on unknown recipients? -- YES

Total Incoming messages per day? -- 6000

Total Prespam Incoming Messages per day? (Prespam = SPAM + LEGIT) -- 11000

Total Postspam Incoming Messages per day? (Postspam = LEGIT) --

Total Outgoing messages per day? -- 2000

Number of Outging messages per user per day? -- 25

Average Message Size (KB)? -- 200k

Percentage % of Messages with attachments? -- 30% - 50%

Average Attachment Size (KB)? -- 900k

Hardware
    Servers RAM/CPU? -- This is where I need some guidance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information