Thread: How to take zimbra mail backup?

nishith is offline Special Member

Cool How to take zimbra mail backup?

I am using zcs 5.0.5 open source version.

I have installed zimbra ona single 160 GB hard drive with No RAID.

So,to prevent all mail user data,their mail attachments,Zimbra Mail server configuration files & rest,I need to take backup on a safe place.

Kindly tell me how to take all above mentioned backups & also tell me how to make secondary server to use in an emergency when the master mail server is down.

How to create a secondary mail server,which will act as a backup mail server & if necessary,it take take mail server load onto it.

How to create auto backup for zimbra mail server & i need a utility that after backup,the server will execute a mail subjected as a " Mail backup completed successfully" with full backup taken information.

Is it possible to do all stuff in zimbra?

Waiting.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

A search of the wiki would have found you this: Open Source Edition Backup Procedure - Zimbra :: Wiki - there's some further scripts in the forums if you search. You'll also find various discussions on RAID and backup servers in the forums.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

nishith is offline Special Member

Hello,

As per the wiki,I will check it & revert back to you. Further I woulld like to know that how to take mysql backup?

What the difference between logmysql & mysql ? Why we are using both in zimbra?

Could you please provide me some good documentation regarding zimbra basics & basic administration?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You need to read the Product Documentation and, yet again, search the forums and wiki for information.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nishith View Post
    As per the wiki,I will check it & revert back to you. Further I woulld like to know that how to take mysql backup?
    With FOSS you can just make sure to have a copy of your entire /opt/zimbra (and any directories you've move elsewhere) and that will include mysql. It's best if you take this copy when Zimbra is stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by nishith View Post
    What the difference between logmysql & mysql ? Why we are using both in zimbra?
    One is logger service (not critical/you can run without this) & the other is the very important DB for everything else

dspillett is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    It's best if you take this copy when Zimbra is stopped.
    Actually, to get a consistent backup it is essential that you stop the services.

If you use LVM to manage your drives, you can reduce the down-time by downing the services, creating an LVM snapshot, restarting the services and taking the backup from the snapshot. That way your service is only down for the length of time it takes to stop and start them (creating the snapshot is pretty much instant). There will be a slight drop in performance while the backup is running, done due to the normal load imposed by the backup process (rsync, cp, ...) and the fact that the volume manager is maintaining the snapshot, but that is better than the service being down completely for extra time.

For more LVM information see the relevant Linux documentation. There are many tutorials out there too, you might even find some specific to Zimbra if you search these forums.
    Last edited by dspillett; 06-25-2008 at 01:24 AM.

Thread Information