Thread: Domain relaying

andywan is offline New Member

Default Domain relaying

Hi!

I've had a search about the forums for this, but haven't come across anyone either wanting this feature, or is so simple and blatantly obvious and I've completely missed it.

Basically, I have a few domains I administer, but a couple of them have their own mail servers which look after their own mail accounts, and I simply forward on mail for that domain via SMTP to their particular mail server. The benefit being that I don't have to manage the individual e-mail accounts, as that is performed by the other server, and if their server ever goes down, future inbound mail is kept on my server until their server is back up online and my server automatically spools out the mail to their server.

I'm doing this at the minute using postfix, specifying an smtp: entry in the transport table which works a treat, however I've not noticed anything in Zimbra that will let me easily do the same within the GUI. I've got no problem adding the entries back into the transport table in Postfix on the Zimbra server, but was worried that if I do that, A) are my changes going to be permanent, and B) it would be nice if I could administer this somewhere or at least see the domains I do this to in the admin GUI, as it will otherwise look like I don't have these domains set up at all, which might confuse anyone else that looks at the setup I've got.

Is this a feature which is already available in Zimbra or would I need to use the Network version, or even have to wait for something like this to become available?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

You can edit this into the zimbra conf file, but it won't get saved on upgrades. So just remember to re-add it when you upgrade. At some point we may add this to the admin UI as we plan to expand our admin UI to cover more postfix config options.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

anand is offline Zimbra Employee

Default zimbraMailTransport

create the account locally (ie, in zimbra), and then set account attribute zimbraMailTransport to
    Code:
    smtp:otherhost
    You can do this with zmprov:
    Code:
    zmprov ma account@domain.com zimbraMailTransport smtp:other.host

andywan is offline New Member

Thanks for the advice with this, I'll have a go with this later on today. When you mention editing the zimbra config file kevin, what file should I be editing for this exactly? I've had a quick look but can't see anything obvious, and I guess I'm getting confused more as I can't see any of the other domains I've set up - I'm presuming these are all stored in LDAP though, and have no idea how to use this... :/

Your suggestion worked by the away anand but the only problem is you can't see what is now happening with the account within the GUI, only if you use the 'zmprov ga' command. While it's not a huge problem, I'm having to keep a list of the domains which I'm doing this with seperately so I know which domains are being forwarded externally. Would it be fairly easy to develop an interface for this which would allow you to enter external SMTP hosts for domains instead of having mail delivered locally via Zimbra? My boss is really interested in this package, and wouldn't mind trying to help add this feature in to Zimbra if it's not too difficult to do..?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

This is pretty easy for us to add to our Admin UI. I'd recommend filing a request into bugzilla.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thread Information