Thread: Disaster Recovery

rmvg is offline Advanced Member

Default Disaster Recovery

Ok i am doing a disaster recovery on a new server and have read the wiki article here Network Edition Disaster Recovery - Zimbra :: Wiki

Couple of questions

1. When it states the same release does that mean if the old broken server which (which i have a complete backup of) was 5.0.0.2 can i use 5.0.0.6 (the latest) or must i use 5.0.0.2

2. Cannot remeber exacty what version i was running is there a way to extract that information from the old data even if that server is not running?

3. Cannot remember the ham and spam user names or passwords think they were autogenerated (pretty sure i went with the defaults here) again is there a way to obtain this info from my old data. Also the global document account name think i left it as defaut too.

4. I have installed a test version of Zimbra 5.0.0.6 on my new server just to see if everything would go smoothly. Now I must remove all traces of it. However i do not have the rpm command so i cannot run rpm -e zimbra-spell and the like. Being a ubuntu 6.06 box could i use the Zimbra install.sh -u script or should i use apt-get instead.

5. Lastly i do not remeber my LDAP password how do i retrieve it from my old data or do i need it?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
    Computer King

http://www.computerking.ca

Sales, Service, and Hosting
    Email, Data, and Web Packages
    Ask about web design specials

Affiliates
    http://www.computerking.ca/pages/lin...affiliates.htm

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

1. It means exactly the same version you had on the old server.

2. If the server isn't running and you don't have it written downs, you might have the downloaded RPM somewhere different (that will have the version number in it).

3. The names of the ham/spamm accounts don't matter as you'll be restoring the previous server.

4. To completely remove it run './install.sh -u' - that will completely remove all of the install.

5. Details in the wiki.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    1. It means exactly the same version you had on the old server.

2. If the server isn't running and you don't have it written downs, you might have the downloaded RPM somewhere different (that will have the version number in it).

Ya i have a bunch of old rpms laying aroung 5.0.0.2 is the most recent, but what to know if there was a better way to check

3. The names of the ham/spamm accounts don't matter as you'll be restoring the previous server.

4. To completely remove it run './install.sh -u' - that will completely remove all of the install.

5. Details in the wiki.
    the wiki i read said that the ham and spam need to be the same and had no mention of install.sh -u only the rmp stuff. Am i reading the wrong page?

PS thanks
    Computer King

Affiliates

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rmvg View Post
    the wiki i read said that the ham and spam need to be the same
    You're quite right, it does say that. You'll either have to make a note of their names (they're initially random generated names) or change them to something more memorable such as ham & spam (some people do).

Quote Originally Posted by rmvg View Post
    ...and had no mention of install.sh -u only the rpm stuff. Am i reading the wrong page?
    I thought on this point you were talking about removing your test version of 5.0.6? The article is describing how to completely remove an old install on that server and should be the same as using the install.sh -u option. Howevere, if you feel more comfortable following those instructions then just use the Ubuntu command that removes the software then remove the directories.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

RE : log4j Warning

I am having the same issue here restore is not working when i do a top the server is doing nothing and this is the output of the tail command

tail -f /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log
    tail: cannot open `/opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log' for reading: No such file or directory
    tail: no files remaining

I tried the ldap password reset mention in this thread but it did not help either i am using version 5.0.0.2 following the disaster recovery wike
    Computer King

Affiliates

Thread Information