Thread: [SOLVED] ZCS 5.0.6 relaying mail to a non-MX host

dgeist is offline Member

Default [SOLVED] ZCS 5.0.6 relaying mail to a non-MX host

I have a standalone ZCS host at schnell.mydomain.com. It is the primary MX and is configured as such in the domain records. If I receive an unknown user to mydomain.com, zcs postfix appears to do an A-name lookup for mail.mydomain.com:

Jun 13 15:38:32 schnell amavis[24120]: (24120-20) FWD via SMTP: <dan.geist@example.com> -> <bloobi@mydomain.com>,BODY=7BIT 250 2.6.0 Ok, id=24120-20, from MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025): 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 825D6624261
    Jun 13 15:38:32 schnell slapd[3229]: conn=25828 op=24 SRCH base="" scope=2 deref=0 filter="(&(|(zimbraMailDeliveryAddress=bloobi@mydo main.com)(zimbraDomainName=bloobi@mydomain.com))(z imbraMailStatus=enabled))"
    Jun 13 15:38:32 schnell amavis[24120]: (24120-20) Passed CLEAN, [216.47.88.83] [24.248.72.35] <dan.geist@example.com> -> <bloobi@mydomain.com>, Message-ID: <1213385874.9671.162.camel@blah>, mail_id: J15VSofLmU6O, Hits: -1.998, size: 1916, queued_as: 825D6624261, 447 ms
    Jun 13 15:38:32 schnell postfix/smtp[4147]: 12DF5624229: to=<bloobi@mydomain.com>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024, delay=0.48, delays=0.02/0.01/0/0.45, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 825D6624261)
    Jun 13 15:38:32 schnell postfix/smtp[4151]: 825D6624261: to=<bloobi@mydomain.com>, relay=none, delay=0.02, delays=0.01/0.01/0/0, dsn=5.4.4, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=mail.mydomain.com type=A: Host not found)

So... i USED to have a mailserver at mail.mydomain.com, but have long since removed it. Also, the ZCS server is pointed directly at the authoritative DNS server for the domain for resolution and i've stopped/started all services already to ensure nothing was cached in the resolver library.

Why is it trying to relay to mail.mydomain.com if that host isn't an MX host? it delivers known addresses locally as would be expected, but all the inbound spam that doesn't get caught by amavis is slamming my other server (when i have the DNS A-name re-enabled).

Dan

dgeist is offline Member

Bump.

Anyone know why zimbra is trying mail.domain as a relay even though it's not listed as a MX for the domain?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dgeist View Post
    So... i USED to have a mailserver at mail.mydomain.com, but have long since removed it. Also, the ZCS server is pointed directly at the authoritative DNS server for the domain for resolution and i've stopped/started all services already to ensure nothing was cached in the resolver library.

Why is it trying to relay to mail.mydomain.com if that host isn't an MX host? it delivers known addresses locally as would be expected, but all the inbound spam that doesn't get caught by amavis is slamming my other server (when i have the DNS A-name re-enabled).
    Can I assume from these comments that you had a Split Domain setup? If that's the case you need to reverse the changes you made for the Split Domain, search the forums for the answer.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

dgeist is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Can I assume from these comments that you had a Split Domain setup? If that's the case you need to reverse the changes you made for the Split Domain, search the forums for the answer.
    You can assume that I have a split domain. I've had one for some time and I don't see how it would make a difference as the behavior of a split system is based on the source of the request and none of the MTAs would be aware of the split. Also, the machine to which mail is being forwarded is not listed as a mail exchanger in either the internal not external zones:
    -----From outside-----
    ; <<>> DiG 9.4.2 <<>> mydomain.net mx
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27434
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;mydomain.net. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    mydomain.net. 86088 IN MX 20 post.mydomainnet.com.

-----From post-----
    ; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> mydomain.net mx
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 47763
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;mydomain.net. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    mydomain.net. 86400 IN MX 15 post.mydomainnet.com.
    mydomain.net. 86400 IN MX 10 schnell.mydomain.net.
    -----From schnell (zimbra server)-----
    ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> mydomain.net mx
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 51022
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;mydomain.net. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    mydomain.net. 86400 IN MX 10 schnell.mydomain.net.
    mydomain.net. 86400 IN MX 15 post.mydomainnet.com.

mail.mydomain does not appear anywhere in either the internal or external MX records. All of the hosts involved are on public (non RFC1918) IPs. I only do the split for spam filtering, not for public/private traversal. Thoughts?

Dan
    Last edited by dgeist; 06-18-2008 at 08:51 AM.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You can assume that I have a split domain.
    Earlier you said that you've removed a mail server that was at mail.mydomain.com, was that the other server that was in the Split Domain?

mail.mydomain does not appear anywhere in either the internal or external MX records. All of the hosts involved are on public (non RFC1918) IPs. I only do the split for spam filtering, not for public/private traversal. Thoughts?
    If, as I've mentioned above, the server mail.mydomain.com was the one you were relaying to then you need to modify Zimbra to stop sending to that server name. This would appear to be a Zimbra configuration problem not a DNS problem, unless there's something you haven't told me?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

dgeist is offline Member

Default I've been stupid

So, it was a split-domain, but not the kind I thought you were speaking of...
    Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki

I had completely forgotten I was using that at one point (although I'd rebuild the zimbra install and upgraded since then). Here's the simple fix:
    [zimbra@schnell ~]$ zmprov md mydomain.net zimbraMailCatchAllAddress ""
    [zimbra@schnell ~]$ zmprov md mydomain.net zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress ""
    [zimbra@schnell ~]$ zmprov md mydomain.net zimbraMailTransport ""
    [zimbra@schnell ~]$ zmcontrol stop
    [zimbra@schnell ~]$ zmcontrol start

Thanks for the guidance.
    Dan

Thread Information