Thread: Using a domain that's not just in Zimbra

stace is offline Active Member

Default Using a domain that's not just in Zimbra

I have a problem I'm trying to solve. Let me paint you a picture:

I work at example.com. All of our e-mail addresses are foo@example.com. The Mail Exchanger for example.com is an SMTP relay server that routes mail accordingly (mailing lists to lists.example.com, user mail to zimbra.example.com, etc.). example.com is part of a larger organization, and not everyone uses our mail server.

Our Zimbra server is configured with the domain of zimbra.example.com, because when we tried to configure it was just "example.com", it would assume it was the canonical host for example.com mail and thus any mail aliases that didn't live on the Zimbra server would bounce.

However, neither we (the admins) nor the users like this setup. Everyone now has two e-mail addresses - the public one (foo@example.com) that appears in the main LDAP server for example.com and (hopefully) in their mail client configs, and their "Zimbra" address (foo@zimbra.example.com), which must be used for things like shares and other internal Zimbra functions. This leads to confusion and things would go much more smoothly if we could use "example.com" as the domain.

So, the questions:

1) Is it possible to have Zimbra actually route mail to the mail exchanger for exchange.com instead of assuming it's the mail exchanger?

2) If not, is there a better way of accomplishing what we want rather than simply duplicating (in Zimbra) the alias structure on our mail exchanger (eg. mail-list@example.com -> mail-list@lists.example.com)?

stace is offline Active Member

Hm. Am I the only one who's tried to do this? That seems odd, given Zimbra's distribution list setup is hardly a replacement for a mailing list system like mailman.

Anybody?

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stace View Post
    Our Zimbra server is configured with the domain of zimbra.example.com, because when we tried to configure it was just "example.com", it would assume it was the canonical host for example.com mail and thus any mail aliases that didn't live on the Zimbra server would bounce.
    Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki

Thread Information