Thread: User Templates or Groups?

quietas is offline Elite Member

Default User Templates or Groups?

I run the mail server for an organization of 200+ users and we wind up creating new users on a daily basis almost due to turnover and temps. With this many users we have half a dozen departments. Each of these departments has similar needs, but they are separate entities.

For example I have onsite technicians that will be scheduling customer visits of of the office, our scheduler and other technicians need to be able to view or edit other calendars. Also they will need specific address list and shared briefcase folders.

Can something like this be set up as a template, then copied and modfied with each new user's info?

Better would be to create a group, add new users, and add users to multiple groups. Can this be done and include things like the various calendars, addresses, and folders automatically?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? .....

Ahh, no one?

Bummer. I end up having 20ish positions in some departments with high turnover which we seem to duplicate over and over. Cutting out all the steps in the middle and making a copy would be nice.

But groups, with users in multiple, would do the same thing for permissions, is there a way?

p24t is offline Moderator

I use scripts to create all my users. I can set them up with shared items, share their account out, add to distribution lists, etc.. all with one entry field. First I create the account: (all those #{value} are ruby variables)

Code:
    zmprov ca #{user}@domain.com #{password} givenName #{fname} sn #{lname} displayName '#{fname} #{lname}'
    You can assign permissions to new user folders etc. I share everyone's calendar to the admin account so I can insert events:

Code:
    zmmailbox -z -m #{user}@domain.com mfg /calendar account admin@bexp3d.com rwidx
    This shares the calendar with 'rwidx' - manager level access. More info on the share permissions here: Shared Mailbox Permissions

I also share the company calendar/contacts to each user:

Code:
    zmmailbox -z -m #{user}@domain.com createMountpoint --color blue --view appointment \"/Company Calendar\" company@Domain.com \"/Calendar\"
    zmmailbox -z -m #{user}@domain.com createMountpoint --color blue --view contact \"/Company Contacts\" company@domain.com \"/Contacts\"
    And add them to whichever distribution lists.

Code:
    zmprov addDistributionListMember company_wide@domain.com #{user}@domain.com
    I've also written other scripts to attach other shared folders, etc., on a case-by-case basis.

While I have no problem using CLI scripts, and often prefer them for large batches, my boss would throw a fit. She is mildly familiar with Linux, but would choke with typing in actual text. My boss, and a couple others who would need access, are not command line folks, I guess I'll have to find a way to enter it all in a text box via a web page or something.

p24t is offline Moderator

Yeah, that's what I have. It's mostly web-interfaced, save the quick scripts. This way I don't have to create users around here

Thread Information