Thread: ZCS Archiving Question

r8escjohn is offline Senior Member

Default ZCS Archiving Question

Have some questions about ZCS Archiving as we have been informed that as a public entity we are required to have an e-Mail Archiving/Journaling solution in place for legal 'e-Discovery' rules. First, I do know that we need the Network Version and not the Open Source Edition that we use currently (have a question about migrating to the Network Edition posted in a different thread). On the Zimbra Archiving solution I need to know (I think I know some of these, but need to ask just to be safe :->):

- What is the maximum retention time frame I can use ZCS Archiving for? It is my understanding that for us, we need to retain all incoming and outgoing correspondence for a total of three years. Estimated Disk Storage needed for 50 users?
    - Can I transfer the e-Mail archive to a Tape based media for off-site backup?
    - Does ZCS Archiving process the calendar data also? It is my understanding that we need to archive that data also for the same amount of time.
    - I assume that ZCS Archiving require a separate box. Is that correct?
    - Can I archive selective e-mail accounts or can I only archive all accounts?

Thanks!

chh
    chh is offline Advanced Member

Hi,

I hope I can help some:

Quote Originally Posted by r8escjohn View Post
    - What is the maximum retention time frame I can use ZCS Archiving for? It is my understanding that for us, we need to retain all incoming and outgoing correspondence for a total of three years. Estimated Disk Storage needed for 50 users?
    As far as I see ZCS Archiving does not implement the concept of retention time.
    What you could do, is use a new archiving mailbox for each user every month or year (or what suits you best). Then after three years you can delete all archiving mailboxes that are older than 3 years.
    To the Zimbra guys: correct me if it is not possible to use several archiving mailboxes over time per user.

- Can I transfer the e-Mail archive to a Tape based media for off-site backup?
    The archives are just mailboxes you cannot log in to.
    You could make a seperate backup for those mailboxes and move those backups to tape.

- Does ZCS Archiving process the calendar data also? It is my understanding that we need to archive that data also for the same amount of time.
    Not sure about this one.

- I assume that ZCS Archiving require a separate box. Is that correct?
    Depends on the number of mailboxes. But basically you do not need a seperate server.

- Can I archive selective e-mail accounts or can I only archive all accounts?
    Yes, you have to configure/activate for each account seperately.

Hope to have helped

Christian

su_A_ve is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by chh View Post
    As far as I see ZCS Archiving does not implement the concept of retention time.
    What you could do, is use a new archiving mailbox for each user every month or year (or what suits you best). Then after three years you can delete all archiving mailboxes that are older than 3 years.
    To the Zimbra guys: correct me if it is not possible to use several archiving mailboxes over time per user.

Christian
    As with any mailbox, you can establish retention periods as it's the default with Trash and Spam folders. You would adjust this via say an Archive COS, and all archive mailboxes set to that COS. Then you adjust the Email Message Lifetime param - under Advanced (in OPs case, 3 years)...

My .02..

chh
    chh is offline Advanced Member

Sounds like a good idea, will try that, when I get my testing system back.

Thread Information