Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preventing deletion

billybofh is offline Senior Member

Default Preventing deletion

I didn't notice anything in the manual - so apologies if it's covered.

Is there way of preventing a user finally deleting an email? I'd like them to be able to delete a message (at least as far as they think) but the message is actually hidden or moved instead.

It benifits me in that it is easy to restore an accidentally deleted mail very quickly, and also is of use in potential disputes or legal situations where keeping track of mail can be quite important.

bobby is offline Zimbra Employee

i don't think there's any zimbra setting for that. you could maybe have postfix copy all mail to some catchall account.

Ahh - ok. It would be a very, very nice feature to have in the future...

goetzi is offline Project Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by billybofh
    Ahh - ok. It would be a very, very nice feature to have in the future...
    I totally agree. There are many users out there who accidentally delete some mails. Therefore such a hidden "deleted" folder would be very practical to have.

Andy from Zimbra is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by goetzi
    I totally agree. There are many users out there who accidentally delete some mails. Therefore such a hidden "deleted" folder would be very practical to have.
    I'd like to make sure I understand -- are you asking about a feature that means even if the user hits "Empty Trash", the messages are saved in another folder/archive?

Because currently today in the Zimbra AJAX client, a user deletes a message, and it goes to the Trash. It only leaves the Trash if they then hit "Empty Trash" (unless they're also using another client like Outlook that has any setting for automatically deleting Trash....)

Pretty much. Ideally it would be moved to some kind of hidden "deleted" folder which the admins could restore from and/or have a retention rule about. As far as the user is concerned the mail is gone though.

Apart from the number of times I've personally had requests for messages to be restored after deletion & removal from Trash (even some users who treated "trash" as just another folder to keep items in) - as more regulation comes our was I can see a distinct advantange in being able to have a business rule about email deletion & retention which isn't over-rideable by the user.

I know I can make extra deliveries from postfix to a seperate queue/mailbox with a bit of fiddling - but it would be nice to have a straightfoward means of retaining mail in zimbra itself. A fairly simple couple of options which could apply across multiple domains would be very welcome.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default another option

There's also the single mailbox restore option, avail. in the network version (along with hot backup, support, etc, etc) that solves this problem quite nicely - something deleted last week/month/year? Restore the mailbox at that date under a different account name, and give the user access to it.

Does the mailbox restore work 24x7? That is, if a user recieves an email, deletes it right away - can it just be restored? My reading of it was that it could be restored if it had been part of a backup run?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Just depends on how your backps run. In general most people don't run them every second. So you be able to restore to the last backup.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

So it doesn't really solve this problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information