Thread: Binding account with external email service?

wellofsouls is offline New Member

Question Binding account with external email service?

Hi, I've just installed Zimbra for my company and it works great, however there's one thing I'm not sure if possible with Zimbra. We use Zimbra for all internal e-mails and communications, but since everyone of use already have some external email accounts, so I wonder if I can bind accounts to external email service so when someone wants to send emails to the outside, it automatically uses his/her external mail account to send it.

For example, we have an employee named peter@mcomp.org in the Zimbra, he has an existing email peter@gmail.com, so is there anyway to configure his accounts, so when he sends email within the company to john@mcomp.org in Zimbra, the mail is sent with his zimbra account, but when he sends an email to an outside address bill@hotmail.com, it will automatically send the mail with peter@gmail.com via smtp.gmail.com?

Thanks.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Look in the Accounts/Persona tab in the User preferences.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Look in the Accounts/Persona tab in the User preferences.
    hmm... for the admin page, there's no persona tab in the accounts settings. for the individual user preferences, there's an "external account" but that only receives email from external POP/IMAP server. the "new persona" doesn't seem to have any settings for mail server. I can't find where to config an external smtp server to send emails to the outside

Why would you want to relay it via another external server? The aim of the persona is to 'impersonate' the external mail id and send it directly from Zimbra with a return address of the external mail account.
    Regards

Bill

well, because the internal server's address is not a certified mail server so it can't send mail to outside.

So there's no such functionality in Zimbra I guess? to route mails to external address via external mail service automatically?

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wellofsouls View Post
    well, because the internal server's address is not a certified mail server so it can't send mail to outside.
    I don't understand what that means, don't you deliver mail to other users from this server?
    Regards

Bill

I don't understand what that means, don't you deliver mail to other users from this server?
    yes I deliver mails to other users inside our company's internal network. The mail server has an internal address like 192.168.110.110, and an internal domain name mail.mycompany.org, but invisible to the outside world. So it can't deliver mails to accounts outside the company's internal network, for example abc@yahoo.com, xxx@gmail.com, etc.

gcox457 is offline New Member

Why would you want to relay it via another external server? The aim of the persona is to 'impersonate' the external mail id and send it directly from Zimbra with a return address of the external mail account.
    And to further expand the point (from perhaps a different angle)...my server, for instance, is not a certified sender via SPF records for domains such as yahoo.com, gmail.com, etc. Nor does my server have domain-key certificates for those domains. So, when I send persona-based emails with a "from" of yahoo.com, gmail.com, etc...I am automatically lowering my deliver-ability chances dramatically depending on the settings of my recipient's mail service. In some cases, it will be rejected completely. The only solution that will allow personas to work in such an environment is an "add external smtp" option, such as being discussed in the bug listed above, to be associated with personas and/or "external accounts".

Thread Information