Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabling IM Feature for specific domain

nik78 is offline Junior Member

Red face Disabling IM Feature for specific domain

Because I haven't found anything about this subject I'm asking now here in the forums... Is there any possibility to disable the IM feature for a specific hosted domain ?

I would need this feature because of my setup, short description: I'm admin of an open jabber/xmpp server, and using Zimbra for the mail forwarding (only forwaring, no single used account) of the jabber/xmpp domain (lets say: example.org).
    Also I use my Zimbra opensource installation for my private email domain (example2.org). Now I would like to use the Jabber/IM component of Zimbra for example2.org, but I can't communicate with example.org over xmpp because Zimbra thinks it is hosted on itself.

All DNS entries are correctly set, from external jabber/xmpp-servers like jabber.org or gmail.com everything is working like a charm

Hope somebody can help me

p24t is offline Moderator

You can enable/disable many features like IM by using different Class of Service. You can then select the default Class of Service for each domain under the General settings.

Thanks, I know. Thats not the problem - all accounts configured for the domain "example.org" (the one where another, standalone jabber/xmpp server is running) have IM disabled in their COS (and also in the accounts, only email forwarding as said in my first post activated), but my Zimbra server thinks it should provide IM for it and doesn't look at the DNS SRV records which show another hostname/IP address.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Can you file a bug for that? IM should be doing DNS lookups. Keep in mind it's in beta.

Default reported bug

Hello, thanks for your answer - had not much time the last weeks, and it seems that I've forgotten to file a bug. Now finally done:
    Bug 28545 - Disable IM if DNS SRV records point to another Server

Good luck :-)

centrex is offline Special Member

I am in the same boat. Hosting half a dozen domains on Zimbra, and want to use Zimbra's IM for all but one of these domains, lets call it example5.com

I have SRV records in example5.com that point clients to the 3rd party XMPP server we use for that domain.

Now if a user on example1.com logs into the Zimbra built-in IM and tries to add a user on example5.com (which has e-mail hosted on Zimbra but not IM), it never happens because Zimbra will see that the user from example1.com is trying to communicate with a user from example5.com and silently assume that this example5.com user can be reached internally.

I tried to vote for the bug nik78 created, but someone marked it as Resolved - Invalid.

I don't believe it's invalid. nik78 is definitely onto something with his bug# 28545.

Quote Originally Posted by centrex View Post
    I am in the same boat. Hosting half a dozen domains on Zimbra, and want to use Zimbra's IM for all but one of these domains, lets call it example5.com
    I don't believe it's invalid. nik78 is definitely onto something with his bug# 28545.
    Hi, just wanted to say that I've also seen that it was marked as invalid, but didn't want to write anything about that action - I know that IM is still beta, I'm no programmer/coder, and except that one problem Zimbra is really great for me

centrex is offline Special Member

Yes, but an open beta is usually designed to encourage bug reports and get a dialogue going.

If it was marked as invalid, either you and I are totally off track and whichever developer read the bug report had a good laugh at us and marked it invalid, which AFAIK is another way of saying "user error / waste of time" or we did not communicate the issue clearly enough and your bug report was misunderstood.

I added comment to the bug to ask for it to be reviewed which I think will cause the devs who were assigned this bug to get e-mailed a heads-up. Maybe they will re-open it and ask for more info.

I also think/hope that it was just misunderstood in the bug description, it should not be a big thing for the good Zimbra coders to add such option in the admin interface or make some kind of dns srv check.

Perhaps, with a bit luck, in 5.0.8 this could be fixed ? I'm pressing both thumbs for that

Unhappy

hm... 5.0.8 still the same problem. Could it be that the Zimbra team doesn't understand our problem, or do they have a problem with xmpp hosting for one zimbra domain on another server ? The bug #28545 still says "resolved/invalid", without any comment from the dev team... Some voices inside my head are saying "feels like M$" (just a small joke)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information