Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performance issues after upgrade from 4.5.10-GA to 5.0.4-GA

tnelson is offline Intermediate Member

Default Performance issues after upgrade from 4.5.10-GA to 5.0.4-GA

Hello! As the title states, I've experiencing performance issues after upgrading my Zimbra server from 4.5.10GA to 5.0.4GA. The box is running CentOS 5 using the FOSS RHEL5 binary packages. The server used to run lightning fast with no problems. However, after the upgrade, I find that any moderate amount of inbound mail makes the web interface (AJAX) unusable. It appears that it hangs and the browser (in nearly every case Firefox) gives an error stating "a script has stopped on this page etc... do you want to keep running it?". Sometimes, the web client flakes out altogether stating "Server error". The load on the server is generally at 0 and is running an Intel Core Duo at 1.66ghz with 1GB of RAM. There are at MAX roughly 15 users on the system with 5 of them on the same switch. The other ten are remote users.

The upgrade went very smooth with absolutely no errors being displayed. Can anyone please help me diagnose the cause of the poor performance? Thank you!!!

--Tim
    Last edited by tnelson; 04-16-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Any ideas? I'm really stuck on this one!!! Are the newer releases just "heavier" than the previous ones?

kirme3 is offline Trained Alumni

I'm not on 5 yet, so I'm stabbing in the dark here, but have you cleared your browser's cache? I noticed you said Firefox, have you tried IE and get the same result?

Are you running any AV/AS?
    Also, can you post a copy of /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log?

I see 5.0.5 was just released too, maybe an update to that might help?

krknopp is offline Member

I've got pretty much the same situation. Here's the differences though:
    FC7
    runs as a VM in ESX server
    same amount of users pretty much. Total of 28 on the server, maybe half of those in use at any given time.

I migrated from FC5 to FC7 and from 4.5.10 to 5.0.2 to 5.0.4.

I've noticed that my swap file memory utilization after restarting the services is very low and within a half hour is up to 512MB of swap used. there is still that much free in main memory.

Does your memory usage compare to that?

Kerry

Thank you for the reply!

krknopp- I'm hardly using any swap. Here are some quick stats:

Code:
    Tasks: 114 total,   1 running, 113 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    Cpu0  :  0.0%us,  0.6%sy,  0.0%ni, 95.7%id,  3.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.6%si,  0.0%st
    Cpu1  :  0.0%us,  0.0%sy,  0.0%ni,100.0%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
    Mem:   1026136k total,   979644k used,    46492k free,    45836k buffers
    Swap:  2104496k total,     7896k used,  2096600k free,   138540k cached
    Kerry- I've cleared the browsers cache, and tried different versions of FF, IE, and Safari. We run AV/AS for our mailboxes currently. I could see how inbound mail would be slowed down during the AV/AS scans but the web interface is ALWAYS slow, even during low inbound mail periods. I'm a bit apprehensive to post our mailbox.log as it contains a lot of sensitive information. I'll try to do some sanitation and post it. After checking the release notes for 5.0.5, I'm reluctant to upgrade as there seems to be nothing applicable. I also do not want to make the problem worse or get into the Microsoft mentality of "if it doesnt work right, just upgrade it and hopefully it might".

The log is pretty huge (~1MB) and cannot be attached or pasted in the forum so heres a link: http://www.timnelson.info/temp/mailbox.log
    Last edited by tnelson; 04-18-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added sanitized mailbox.log link

Klug is offline Moderator

You're sure the server is getting "slow" when incoming mails arrives?
    If so, you should see which processes are using CPU.

krknopp is offline Member

It looks like we have different problems. I'll open another thread for mine.

Kerry

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

It's not a very helpful answer, but I can tell you that I've seen no such problem on 5.0.4 Ubuntu, and I upgraded directly from 4.5.10 as well. I've got about 35 users and 600-700 messages per day, with a variety of access--mostly IMAP but a few web client users (especially me when I travel). I'm running on older hardware than you are--PIII 1.4 GHz, 2 GB--so whatever you're having isn't CPU related, but it COULD be RAM-related. Recommended is no less than 2 GB and I personally saw a huge difference in performance of the web client when I actually upgraded to that, even though back then I was the only user in a test environment.

But when I had too little RAM my swap file was going nuts too, so this is a shot in the dark but may be a miss. RAM's pretty cheap though, so you might try throwing a couple sticks at it and see what happens.
    Cheers,

Dan

Klug- I've just queued up a ton of mail on a different server so see what performance will be like when it all comes in.

dwmtractor- Have the performance requirements changed so significantly from 4.5.10 to 5.0.4? As mentioned previously, Zimbra ran just great on this platform previously. I seriously suspect something else is amiss.

BTW I did post my mailbox.log ^^^ up there.

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tnelson View Post
    dwmtractor- Have the performance requirements changed so significantly from 4.5.10 to 5.0.4? As mentioned previously, Zimbra ran just great on this platform previously. I seriously suspect something else is amiss.
    I honestly don't know. I wasn't too impressed with the performance of 4.x till I upped the RAM, but I haven't tried reducing it again.

Since the server's web engine went from Tomcat to Jetty I can imagine that things have changed, but whether that functionality would have any adverse impact on RAM requirements is beyond my technical knowledge.

The other thing that DOES occur to me though: Are you using IE or Firefox and with what sort of horsepower on the client side? The AJAX interface is fairly resource-hungry on the client side; for me it's actually better in 5.0.4 than it was in 4.x, but I haven't done a comparison on older, slower hardware.
    Cheers,

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information