Thread: Web Client Empty Trash with sub-folders leaves message files on server

jfarmiloe is offline Junior Member

Question Web Client Empty Trash with sub-folders leaves message files on server

When I right-click on some mail folders containing sub-folders and choose "Delete", and then "Empty Trash", the pointers are deleted from the mail_items table for that account, but the message files remain on disk under the store directory.

Empty Trash works ok for individual items, but there seems to be a problem with it recursing through sub-folders.

Before I raise a bug I wondered if anyone else was aware of this issue, or if there are any maintenance scripts I should be running to take care of orphan message files?

regards
    Justin.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Zimbra has the notion of Shared messages. So if the message was received by multiple recipients, we only keep one copy and link to it. It doesn't get deleted until all references are removed.

Yep, I understand that (and it's a pretty clever feature). However in this case the messages belong to just one account.

We noticed it while we were testing migration from our existing mail platform. We'd import an entire account with lots of folders etc., then remove them all via the web client, and repeat the process. We noticed the size of the mail store on disk was growing each time we ran the import, and found that after 5 iterations we had 5 copies of each message on disk (though only one showing up in the client).

I've since reproduced the problem by deleting just a few folders at a time. If the messages are in the root level of the Trash folder, they are removed from disk. If they are in sub-folders under trash, generally they are left behind.

I was thinking maybe the Empty Trash logic treats the removal of a folder differently to individual messages, and doesn't always descend through them removing messages before removing the folder entries themselves.

Cheers

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Which version of ZCS are you running?
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Sorry - should have said previously:

Release 5.0.4_GA_2101.RHEL5_64_20080321141727 RHEL5_64 NETWORK edition
    Eval licence.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Looks like this is for Zimbra Server, and not Zimbra Desktop (end-user fat client). I'm going to move this post to the administrator's forum.

Please file a bug, and include reproducible steps.

Thanks!

radiorob is offline Member

Replying to this message since it seems to be the closest related to our problem.

This also looks to be reported as a bug in report #27505 (Empty Trash does not remove messages from disk if msgs were inside a folder).

Essentially as a result of this issue, we have a great deal of space that is taken up with messages that should have been deleted in the store folder. The messages are no longer in the database, but still taking up space in local storage.

Is there some way to have Zimbra check the store folder for orphaned messages and if it does not find a reference in the database to remove it?

Thanks!

Rob

Thread Information