Thread: Forwarding HTML Email with Embedded Images

Chewie71 is offline Trained Alumni

Default Forwarding HTML Email with Embedded Images

Is there a way to get Zimbra to do this correctly? It seems that HTML messages with embedded images can be viewed correctly when delivered into a Zimbra user's Inbox. When they forward that message however, every embedded image becomes an attachment and does not show up in the body of the message anymore.

I'm not one to enjoy all the forwarded "junk" that people pass around to each other all the time, but it is an annoyance for users who do enjoy that sort of thing (aka...forward these precious kitten pictures to 10 of your friends or <evil voice>you'll spend the next 5 years in the 11th level of hell suffering at the hands of Beelzebub himself</evil voice>...etc...).

Just wondering if others are having problems with this in 5.0.4.

Thanks,
    Matt

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

When you open the email to forward, go to the Options drop-down at the top and change the setting there for one of the 'Inline....' options. That should do what they need.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

We could not find any "Attach Inline" under options. This is what we figured out.

When forwarding messages with embedded images, you MUST have the HTML editor set as default PRIOR to opening the compose window to forward.

Open a message for forwarding in plain text mode causes all embedded images to just be listed as attachments.

Open a message for forwarding in plain text mode and then SWITCHING to HTML mode, still causes all embedded images to just be listed as attachments.

Going to preferences and setting the HTML Editor as default on the Compose tab, then opening a new message for forwarding in HTML mode does forward the embedded images correctly.

I don't know if this is a bug...or is as designed. Should I add this to bugzilla?

Matt

Well, my default is text mode composing. I do receive the occasional email in HTML with in-line images so I opened that with reply then changed it to HTML then changed the inline option and forwarded the email - it was received at a test account with the images intact. I've just tried with half a dozen different emails and can't seem to get it to work the way you're describing.

If nobody else posts any confirmation of what you're seeing and if you can't get it to work then contact support and check bugzilla to see if there's anything already filed.
    Regards

Bill

Hmmm...OK....

Well I still don't see the "Attach Inline" option. We're on 5.0.4, are you running 5.0.5 or something newer?

I tried what you said and did get it to work too....though with some extra steps.

1) Start in plain text mode.
    2) Open an email with an embedded image (for forwarding or replying). Image is attached but not embedded.
    (NOTE: At this point my default attach option set in preferences was already set to "Include Original".)
    3) Switch to HTML mode. Image is attached but still not embedded.
    4) Switch attachment mode to "Include Original as Attachment"...original email becomes the attachment.
    5) Switch attachment mode back to "Include Original"....NOW the original message is redisplayed WITH the embedded image correctly shown.

So maybe the problem is I already have the attachment mode set to "Include Original"...changing it to something else and changing it back seemed to work. At least in this one case.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie71 View Post
    Hmmm...OK....

Well I still don't see the "Attach Inline" option. We're on 5.0.4, are you running 5.0.5 or something newer?
    No, I was testing this on my own OSS 5.0.4 server. I did also test it on the most recent 5.0.5 version with the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie71 View Post
    So maybe the problem is I already have the attachment mode set to "Include Original"...changing it to something else and changing it back seemed to work. At least in this one case.
    I also have the option set to Include Original so I'd suggest it's bugzilla/support time.
    Regards

Bill

This one looked related...

Bug 26936 - Users should have the ability to include inlined images in replies

So I started there.

Matt

Thread Information