Thread: Domain versus Virtual Daomains

rwcanary is offline Loyal Member

Exclamation Domain versus Virtual Daomains

Can someone clarify for me the difference between adding a new domain and a virtual domain.

Well more precisely....why the difference?. An MTA can only have one domain under the IP, so wouldn't *anything* else _be_ a virtual domain under that domain?

Is Zimbra spawning a separate MTA for each domain?

If one has only one server, which only has one IP address, then technically would you not want only _one_ domain?

And how dose one configure the DNS to respond correctly to a reverse lookup on an IP address that is hosting a virtual domain? My question comes from the following scenario:

Domain:domain.com IP:123.123.123.123 FQDN:mail.DOMAIN.com
    Virt. Dom:virtual.com

Now if I send mail from the virtual.com the receiving MTA will do a reverse lookup for that domain's MX. Which will be mail.virtual.com [123.123.123.123]

However, a reverse lookup of 123.123.123.123 will result with mail.DOMAIN.com. How do you get around that?

thanks in advance
    --
    robert
    Last edited by rwcanary; 04-12-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Clarification on domain examples
    Robert Canary
    OCDirect Electrical-Datacomm

uxbod is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rwcanary View Post
    Is Zimbra spawning a separate MTA for each domain?
    Postfix can handle multiple domains under one SMTPD instance.

If one has only one server, which only has one IP address, then technically would you not want only _one_ domain?
    Why? Postfix can handle multiple domains under one IP..

And how dose one configure the DNS to respond correctly to a reverse lookup on an IP address that is hosting a virtual domain? My question comes from the following scenario:

Domain:domain.com IP:123.123.123.123 FQDN:mail.DOMAIN.com
    Virt. Dom:virtual.com

Now if I send mail from the virtual.com the receiving MTA will do a reverse lookup for that domain's MX. Which will be mail.virtual.com [123.123.123.123]

However, a reverse lookup of 123.123.123.123 will result with mail.DOMAIN.com. How do you get around that?
    Yes that is correct, but as long as the reverse matches the connecting servers name all will be well. One server can handle multiple domains just be pointing their MX record to the primary server. If you could not do that then a ISP would be in serious trouble

rwcanary is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Postfix can handle multiple domains under one SMTPD instance.

Why? Postfix can handle multiple domains under one IP..
    I have always been under the impression, use only one real domain per IP, everything else should a virtual domain. And I have always followed this rule.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Yes that is correct, but as long as the reverse matches the connecting servers name all will be well. One server can handle multiple domains just be pointing their MX record to the primary server. If you could not do that then a ISP would be in serious trouble
    Hmmm, I have never tried multiple domains on an MTA, I have always used Virtual Domains with CNAME records listed on the DNS. If I understand your point correctly the DNS is going to be set up the same way for a Real Domain sharing one IP, as it would be a Virtual Domain sharing the same IP as the Parent Domain.

So I guess the remaining question would be: Why would I use one over the other (Virtual Domain vs. Real Domain)?
    Robert Canary
    OCDirect Electrical-Datacomm

Thread Information