Thread: Future global distribution/mailing list features?

sadams@bigrocksports.com is offline Senior Member

Default Future global distribution/mailing list features?

We have been using the global distribution/mailing lists feature in Zimbra for a while now. However, there are three features that we've been waiting for:

First, there needs to be a way for ordinary users to view the addresses contained within distribution lists? For example, many users want to know who is on a particular distribution list before using it to send emails.

Secondly, there needs to be a way to easily view all the distribution lists available to use. Currently, you have to either know the name and part of the name to search.

Lastly, there needs to be a way to assign a "manager" to a distribution list so that they can maintain the users. Currently, IT has to handle all this and we would certainly like to pass this on.

I have searched and can't seem to find these in the requests/bugzilla lists. Does anyone know if any of these are in the works to be included in a future release?

Thanks,
    Shannon

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

OK, for the first item you need bug 7554 and the third item is bug 6053. I believe you are already mentioned on bug 6053 (this might be on an old support case) but if you can't see either of those bugs please contact support do get you added to the cc list.

I couldn't see a bugzilla etry for item 2 but you can get support to creat one for you. Don't forget to vote on any of those bugs you think are important.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

victorf is offline Trained Alumni

Lastly, there needs to be a way to assign a "manager" to a distribution list so that they can maintain the users. Currently, IT has to handle all this and we would certainly like to pass this on.
    I've seen this request repeated in one form or another while searching the forum without a clear answer other than the bugzilla reference that's been there since April.

we're currently evaluating Network Edition ver. 5.0.7. and we have a priority need to have this list delegating feature for a few hundred lists we host on our current mail system.

Is there a delegation feature for the distribution lists either planned or in progress for the near future?

browland is offline Senior Member

I would like to have an answer as well. Need to have ability to delegate management of DL's and allow users to see who is on a DL before sending email to a specific DL
    Bill Rowland MCDST MCSA MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by browland View Post
    I would like to have an answer as well. Need to have ability to delegate management of DL's and allow users to see who is on a DL before sending email to a specific DL
    Did you check the bug reports and vote on it?
    Regards

Bill

browland is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Did you check the bug reports and vote on it?
    According to the first BUG report, this should have been implemented in Ver 5.0, we are running 5.0.8. I did not think it would apply, which is what prompted my question.
    Bill Rowland MCDST MCSA MCSE

meltingrobot is offline Senior Member

Is there any serious plans to implement Distribution List managers? I love the Zimbra product, but I have a user or two that are really wanting to be able to manage the global distribution lists. And I definitely have no qualms about taking it off my sysadmin plate and putting it into a management positions hands.

micdug is offline Junior Member

Default Distribution lists

You know - I'm getting tired of seeing "log the bug and vote on it" as the rote answer for basic features that are available in most other mail systems. The question is simple - this is a feature available in Exchange, Lotus notes, Groupwise etc since the year 0 - it is not a bug, it is a major feature deficit and if I knew this when I purchased Zimbra, I would not have bought Zimbra.
    It is required unless you want somebody in IT sitting at a desk all day managing distribution lists. I am getting too many surprises like this (no read receipt!!!).

So again - when are Zimbra going to deliver this required feature?

Quote Originally Posted by micdug View Post
    So again - when are Zimbra going to deliver this required feature?
    You'll find the answer in the Product Portal and without filing bug reports and people voting on them then RFEs & bugs may never get implemented.
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information