Thread: [SOLVED] LDAP: error code 80 - could not locate parent of entry

azilber is offline Senior Member

Unhappy [SOLVED] LDAP: error code 80 - could not locate parent of entry

A client of mine had Zimbra 4.5.3 running. At some point, he may have removed one of the domains he had setup. For some reason, when it was removed, the user and aliases for that domain remained. Attempting to remove them results in the error above.

I've since upgraded the server to 5.0.4, and the same error remains. zmprov is unable to remove the account or alias either in soap or ldap mode.

From the log file we see this:

Code:
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: unable to purge account: a2746611-de03-4115-883e-9a44b369a3d3
    ExceptionId:btpool0-3:1207017968992:1698eb706d3d361b
    Code:service.FAILURE
            at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(ServiceException.java:253)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapProvisioning.deleteAccount(LdapProvisioning.java:1846)
            at com.zimbra.cs.service.admin.DeleteAccount.handle(DeleteAccount.java:84)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEngine.java:391)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:250)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:156)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.java:266)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727)
            at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:177)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)
            at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserAgentFilter.java:81)
            at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:132)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:716)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:406)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:176)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:313)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:506)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:844)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:644)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:205)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:381)
            at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:396)
            at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)
    Caused by: javax.naming.NamingException: [LDAP: error code 80 - could not locate parent of entry]; remaining name 'uid=andy,ou=people,dc=xxxxxxxx,dc=com'
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.mapErrorCode(LdapCtx.java:3049)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(LdapCtx.java:2951)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(LdapCtx.java:2758)
            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.c_unbind(LdapCtx.java:600)
            at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.ComponentContext.p_unbind(ComponentContext.java:634)
            at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.PartialCompositeContext.unbind(PartialCompositeContext.java:227)
            at javax.naming.InitialContext.unbind(InitialContext.java:420)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapUtil.unbindEntry(LdapUtil.java:1346)
            at com.zimbra.cs.account.ldap.LdapProvisioning.deleteAccount(LdapProvisioning.java:1843)
            ... 31 more
    Trying from zmprov -l :

Code:
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to purge account: a2746611-de03-4115-883e-9a44b369a3d3) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - could not locate parent of entry])
    Gah!

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by azilber View Post
    A client of mine had Zimbra 4.5.3 running. At some point, he may have removed one of the domains he had setup. For some reason, when it was removed, the user and aliases for that domain remained. Attempting to remove them results in the error above.
    You'll likely need to slapcat the database, remove the problem domain, and then slapadd the database back in. Current OL won't let you delete entries that have children, but I'm guessing the OL in the 4.5.3 release didn't have that check.

Code:
    deleting entry "ou=people,dc=freelancer,dc=lab,dc=zimbra,dc=com"
    ldapmodify: Operation not allowed on non-leaf (66)
            additional info: subordinate objects must be deleted first
    --Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    You'll likely need to slapcat the database, remove the problem domain, and then slapadd the database back in. Current OL won't let you delete entries that have children, but I'm guessing the OL in the 4.5.3 release didn't have that check.

Code:
    deleting entry "ou=people,dc=freelancer,dc=lab,dc=zimbra,dc=com"
    ldapmodify: Operation not allowed on non-leaf (66)
            additional info: subordinate objects must be deleted first
    --Quanah
    The openldap with 4.5.3 also didn't allow it, so I'm not sure how it happened. I wanted not to have to resolve to the slapcat slapadd method. Zimbra doesn't come with the slapcat and slapadd utils so it's gonna be a pita to get those on this box.

Thanks!

-Alex

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by azilber View Post
    I wanted not to have to resolve to the slapcat slapadd method. Zimbra doesn't come with the slapcat and slapadd utils so it's gonna be a pita to get those on this box.

Thanks!

-Alex
    I'm not sure what you mean Zimbra doesn't come with those utilities. They've shipped with every version of ZCS I've used...

Code:
    [quanah@freelancer ~]$ ls /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin
    slapacl  slapadd  slapauth  slapcat  slapdn  slapindex  slappasswd  slaptest
    --Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean Zimbra doesn't come with those utilities. They've shipped with every version of ZCS I've used...

Code:
    [quanah@freelancer ~]$ ls /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin
    slapacl  slapadd  slapauth  slapcat  slapdn  slapindex  slappasswd  slaptest
    --Quanah

Thank you! I've been looking in /opt/zimbra/bin. Didn't help that they weren't in the path. Well, that changes things. :-)

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Can you file a bug to put them in the path?

Thanks, marking as solved.

Thread Information