Thread: Pulling/patching 5.0.3

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

Default Pulling/patching 5.0.3

Re http://www.zimbra.com/forums/announc...-new-post.html thanks, pulling it for more QA was the right thing to do.

For those of us who pretty much know what we're doing, the one-line patch in Bug 26220 - Upgrade failure if some people use external IMAP sync looks perfectly fine. I'd patch the appropriate migration script immediately after installing the RPMs but before running the rest of setup.

I'm not asking you to support this, because you did the right thing in pulling it... but since this weekend is a REALLY GOOD TIME to do this update and the next couple weeks would be a REALLY BAD TIME, I'd like to get it done. Other than 26220, are there any other showstopper bugs being worked on? Obviously QA reserves the right to turn up something else, but from my standpoint, a manual patch is better than waiting past tomorrow. And I don't want you to rush to get it out tomorrow if all the right packaging and QA folks aren't available.

SPremeau is offline Intermediate Member

This doesn't qualify as an official response to your question, but..

So far, I have done the install on 5 boxes. Two single servers, and three servers in a "tiered multi-server setup".

All else looks good, and we're really happy about a few of the other bug fixes in the release.

Only gripe so far -- that a link to the desktop client was included in the default skins.

It was just turned over for test user interface testing this morning, so I'll let you know if anything pops up on that end.

Steve.

Nor is this official, but there seem to be two ways to make the link to zdesktop beta go away:

1) Set an empty value for switchToOfflineClient in /opt/zimbra/jetty/webapps/zimbra/WEB-INF/classes/messages/Z*Msg.properties (requires a restart of mailboxd)

2) Hack the CSS to set

switch_to_offline {
    display:none
    }

I chose #1, so didn't look further into how and where to do #2. If #2 can be accomplished without a server restart, that would have been nice.

Default 5.0.3+ ate my syslog

5.0.3+ update ate the messages line in my syslog.conf. I guess the update script doesn't like the fact that I'd noticed and patched the duplicate-syslogging bug on my own? I had added local0.none;auth.none so as to put that stuff in /var/log/zimbra.log exclusively a few days ago.

Code:
    --- /etc/syslog.conf.bak        2008-03-23 20:41:05.000000000 -0500
    +++ /etc/syslog.conf    2008-03-23 20:41:05.000000000 -0500
    @@ -4,7 +4,6 @@

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
     # Don't log private authentication messages!
    -*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;local0.none;auth.none         -/var/log/messages

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
     authpriv.*                                             -/var/log/secure
    To be clear, the reason this is a problem is that now daemon.info and friends goes nowhere.

Default How to hide the "Offline Version" link

Append to the bottom of ~zimbra/jetty-6.1.5/webapps/zimbra/css/common.css

switch_to_offline {
    }

I have now done a server restart, and the Z*Msgs change above doesn't actually work. The above CSS hack does work. It doesn't require a server restart, but it does require dumping cache (or shift-reload) in client browsers.

If you make the above change after installing the RPMs (or other package formats) but before running zmsetup, I think it should work, since ZCS updates automatically suggest reload of the client.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    2) Hack the CSS to set

switch_to_offline {
    }
    We'll probably take the CSS route, but it's just a tad frustrating that Zimbra adds a new display item in a minor upgrade. We haven't made the decision yet, but we were going to shy away from support of the *still beta* desktop client.

Steve.

mmorse is offline Moderator

5.0.3/.4 is actually rather big for a maintenance release. Our release notes are already packed to the brim - there's so much new stuff in this release that we could fill quite a few pages and someone would still want something else documented/noted; which is why we have PMweb. BTW the CSS change/fix for this was in: Bug 24939 - add zimbra desktop link to UI

Mike -

You're missing my point.

I was/am in a position to not be able to not install 5.0.3, as I absolutely needed some of the bug fixes that were built into it.

Very simply, Zimbra should not enable new functionality / "features" by default in point releases. To use the example of the "Offline Client" link, I have no problem with in being added, I have problem with it being displayed by default.

I don't know what was or was not said about it in the release notes, since I didn't grab a copy of them before 5.0.3 was pulled back.

Very simply, except for cases like bug fixes (ie the Amavis BDB bug) or verified configuration issues (the max open file limit), the performance and display characteristics of a point release should remain unchanged. Include it for those that need it, but do not enable it by default until the next major release.

Okay, I'm done -- at least in the forums, I'm off my soap box on this topic.

Steve.

Thread Information