Thread: I can't restore a mailbox to a previous state

DougWare is offline Loyal Member

Default I can't restore a mailbox to a previous state

I'm trying to use the admin interface to restore a manager's mailbox back to a previous state on 5.0.2.

I keep selecting her single mailbox, restoring it back to my first backup that's available (which is Feb 22), and I restore it to another (read as "new") mailbox, and set it to "restore to a point in time" .

For some reason, the folder she deleted a week ago by accident isn't there. What's even stranger is that mail she's received in the past few days is there.

How can I restore from a full backup to a couple of weeks ago? All we have are daily full backups.

Doug

mmorse is offline Moderator

Try this: CLI zmrestore restoreToTime Network Edition only - Zimbra :: Wiki

Using -lb to specify a full that took place prior to the time you want to restore to generally brings a better result. Also sounds like you want to use -ca & -pre restored_ to restore to a temp account so you can then copy mail using a thick-client etc as needed.

Default Still no joy....

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Try this: CLI zmrestore restoreToTime Network Edition only - Zimbra :: Wiki

Using -lb to specify a full that took place prior to the time you want to restore to generally brings a better result. Also sounds like you want to use -ca & -pre restored_ to restore to a temp account so you can then copy mail using a thick-client etc as needed.
    I used the following command line
    zmrestore -restoreToTime 20080301.080008.487 -ca -pre restored_ -t /External-Drive/ZimbraBackUps --account EMAIL_REMOVED_FOR_PRIVACY_REASONS
    Which reported "using restore to time of 2008/03/01 08:00:08"

I still ended up with a mailbox which is an exact match to the manager's current mailbox (even including mail which was received up to this morning).

Is this worth a bug report, or am I still doing something wrong?

Doug

If you look at the history on that wiki article you'll see that I made it recently for a reason.

So if you want to do a restoreToTime it's best if you use a -lb as the date of a full that took place before the restoreToTime. Fulls after the restoreToTime date wouldn't have the incrementals/redologs to the prior time - they are like a one time snapshot of everything. By default (when no -lb is specified) it 'often' just uses the last full backup - it's a timing thing & it sounds like you're not using incrementals at all? BTW is your /opt/zimbra/redolog getting larger/not cleaned out? (During the incremental backup process those are rolled into /opt/zimbra/backup.)

These options affect redolog replay phase of restore:
    -restoreToIncrLabel <arg> : Replay redo logs up to and including this incremental backup
    -restoreToRedoSeq <arg> : Replay up to and including this redo log sequence
    -restoreToTime <arg> : Replay redo logs until this time

Without these options, all redo logs since full backup are replayed (thus why you're seeing recent mail) and it also plays the redologs not yet backed up (those under /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive and /opt/zimbra/redolog/redo.log) if the -br option is not specified.

Those three point-in-time options options allow cutting off the replay at certain point. Of course, no logs are replayed at all if -rf option is used to restore to full backup only.

So actually you might try that as well - pick a full way back in time and don't grab current stuff.
    Have a quick look at the general zmrestore syntax: CLI zmrestore Network Edition only - Zimbra :: Wiki

Hope that yields a better result in your situation - let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by mmorse; 03-24-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    If you look at the history on that wiki article you'll see that I made it recently for a reason.

So if you want to do a restoreToTime it's best if you use a -lb as the date of a full that took place before the restoreToTime. Fulls after the restoreToTime date wouldn't have the incrementals/redologs to the prior time - they are like a one time snapshot of everything. By default (when no -lb is specified) it 'often' just uses the last full backup - it's a timing thing & it sounds like you're not using incrementals at all? BTW is your /opt/zimbra/redolog getting larger/not cleaned out? (During the incremental backup process those are rolled into /opt/zimbra/backup.)

These options affect redolog replay phase of restore:
    -restoreToIncrLabel <arg> : Replay redo logs up to and including this incremental backup
    -restoreToRedoSeq <arg> : Replay up to and including this redo log sequence
    -restoreToTime <arg> : Replay redo logs until this time

Without these options, all redo logs since full backup are replayed (thus why you're seeing recent mail) and it also plays the redologs not yet backed up (those under /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive and /opt/zimbra/redolog/redo.log) if the -br option is not specified.

Those three point-in-time options options allow cutting off the replay at certain point. Of course, no logs are replayed at all if -rf option is used to restore to full backup only.

So actually you might try that as well - pick a full way back in time and don't grab current stuff.
    Have a quick look at the general zmrestore syntax: CLI zmrestore Network Edition only - Zimbra :: Wiki

Hope that yields a better result in your situation - let me know how it goes.
    I'm going to try that shortly. As far as the redolog growing, it was growing to an unmanageable size. Based on what other users who were only performing full backups (as we do), we remove the redologs that are over 1 day old after the last successful full backup.

We remove them using this cron command...
    find /opt/zimbra/redolog/archive/* -mtime +1 -exec rm {} \;

I'll post a follow up once I attempt the restore command again.

Thanks

Thread Information