Thread: use internal mail server to send email in external net

abisello is offline New Member

Default use internal mail server to send email in external net

Good morning to all!

can you help me please?

in our company we have an internal mail server localsmtp.xxx.yyy and an external : mail.xxx.yyy created using zimbra open source edition.

connected inside the company network we can send or reiceve email from internal or external net using mail.xxx.yyy imap mail server.

but we have a problem ...

if we want to use mail.xxx.yyy WHEN WE ARE CONNECTED FROM OURS HOUSES WE CAN'T....

i'm not able to understand what i need to use internal mail server at home, using my private adsl connection

can you help us please?

with hope...
    thanks...

Abisello
    Last edited by abisello; 03-18-2008 at 07:28 AM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

This topic has been covered many times in the forums. Can you post some details of any error messages you get in the logs when you try to send from 'outside'?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

abisello is offline New Member

sorry phoenix,

i find documentation that explain how to configure zimbra to internet, or zimbra to zimbra, or internet to zimbra...

but i want to use zimbra to send from internet to internet ...

other word's i don't want to use imap.gmail.com , i want to use mail.xxx.yyy when i'm connected from house ... and i'm not able to find to right guide

maybe i can simply make a new account in my thunderbird using the same parameters used inside my company but i don't know.... just my boss came and say "do it".... =|

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I need to know what the error is that you have in your Zimbra logs before anyone can offer a solution. Do you have access to the Zimbra logs? Are you responsible for administering the Zimbra server?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

There are lots of threads that will guide you to various pieces of this process. It is basic enough that I don't think much of anyone has written a howto for the simple reason that it would be old news to most people who set up mail servers.

But there are a few basic steps you need to do:
    1. Decide if you are going to connect from outside using IMAP or POP
    2. Configure your firewall and network so the appropriate ports for IMAP and/or POP for receiving and SMTP for sending mail, are available from public IP addresses
    3. Configure your mail accounts to allow POP or IMAP as appropriate
    4. Configure your mail server to accept the correct type of login--SSL/TLS, cleartext (NOT RECOMMENDED)
    5. Set up the mail client on your home machine according to the settings you have created above.
    If you are having particular trouble with, or do not understand, any of these steps, post more questions.

I would add that I'm unclear why you would have two separate mailservers as you describe (internal and external), on the same IP address. SMTP.xxx.yyy sounds like the "sending mail" portion, and mail.xxx.yyy the "receiving mail" portion, of the same server.

Please don't take this wrong--I'm not trying to talk down to you--but your questions suggest to me that you may not be familiar with the basic terminology of email servers. If this is true, you have an adventure ahead of you! You might want to start off with this article, which gives a pretty good overview of the "nuts and bolts" of email technology. And if I'm misunderstanding and you already know this, then please accept my apologies!

Cheers,

Dan

uxbod is offline Moderator

If I was I betting man I would put it down to Postfix MyNetworks. As Phoenix has said we really need the logfiles to see what the error is.

Thread Information