Thread: TRying to make sense of a Palm sync solution

fhouston is offline Active Member

Default TRying to make sense of a Palm sync solution

We're still working w/ the temp license trying to figure out whether or not Zimbra is something we want to move to. One of the sticking points is going to be an easy solution for syncing Zimbra's calendar/task/contacts to palm OS devices (primarily Treos and TXs). It looks like the easiest solution would be to do it via the Outlook conduit. I just spent the last couple of years trying to migrate people from Outlook so I'd rather not have to go back now and tell them they have to use it again It looks like there might be another solution but I'm getting kind of lost/not finding a "how to" setup anywhere. I did find one thread that mentioned something about Versamail, which does mail/contacts/calendar but doesn't do tasks right? Maybe that'll be good enough if that's the only thing that is missing. However that doesn't work through the HotSync process right so in order to get everything the person will have to sync twice (once via VersaMail and once via HotSync for everything else) right?

However to make sure I'm heading in the right direction I've seen some people mention some sort of ActiveSync option. That's an add-on app to the Zimbra server right? Is it included in the network trial version? I don't see anything that indicates that it is but I'm still new to the admin interface. If it is included how do I utilize that to sync w/ the plams? If it isn't included, is this what I need and how do I get a trial copy?

I'm also seeing something call SyncML and ZimbraSync4j, is this part of the ActiveSync solution or an alternative? Will this work w/ palms or is it just for smart phones?

I take it at this time there is no easy plug-in/conduit single "Hot Sync" option available? Is this something that is being worked on? I appreciate any hints/clues/suggestions.
    Last edited by fhouston; 03-13-2008 at 08:54 AM.

bdial is offline Moderator

before I ditched my treo 700p (sorry palm but your ancient software just can't hack it anymore) I had set it up to work with zimbra. I used the latest versamail which came with verizon's treo software update. The latest version has the exchange plugin. You use this and setup over the air sync basicly the same as activesync. however, i found it to generate a lot of errors when setting it to autosync, but manually syncing seemed to work fine for email, contacts, calendar.

i'm not sure if zimbra mobile is active in the trial edition but i imagine it is since most other features are.

bradb21 is offline Advanced Member

I have several Palm OS phones (700p & 755p) syncing on my server. It works great using the Exchange Active Sync protocol which Palm licensed from Microsoft. It will sync mail, calendar, and contacts.

You need to purchase the Zimbra NE edition + Mobile option.
    Release 6.0.2_GA_1912.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition + Mobile Option
    Activesync with Moto Q9C, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pro, & Palm Pre

Sounds great... is the mobile option part of the test install, is there any way to check this out before we buy?

bradb21 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fhouston View Post
    Sounds great... is the mobile option part of the test install, is there any way to check this out before we buy?
    Yea it's part of the eval. I used the open source version for a long time, then built the eval server version before I purchased so I could test out the sync'ing with my phones.
    Release 6.0.2_GA_1912.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition + Mobile Option
    Activesync with Moto Q9C, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pro, & Palm Pre

So how do I configure this... I don't see anything under "mobile" in the online help, or any thing in the admin app that refers to mobile. Am I supposed to install something else? Do I change my palm sync method from desktop to outlook (which I tried and it said outlook isn't installed on my machine)? On the palm site I found this Introduction to ActiveSync and Exchange ActiveSync for Windows Mobile smartphones which talks about a difference between activesync and exchange activesync, I'm assuming (in conjunction w/ info found on the Zimbra wiki) I need the exchange version. Is that was the versamail 3.5 gives me or is that another program I need to find/install?

Apologies for all the questions... I guess I'm just missing something fundamental to this whole process because it seems like I'm running in around in circles trying to figure out what needs to be installed where (on the palm, PC or Zimbra server)

bdial is offline Moderator

I think your problem is that you want to involve outlook in his whole process

Start here
    Palm - Support - EAS Update for Palm OS Devices

Once you've installed the EAS Update (Exchange Active Sync) then in versamail you setup a new account and tell it that it's an exchange account. You enter the address of your zimbra server, your username and password, and tell it which items you want it to sync. Then you go and tell your computer NOT to sync any of the things you're syncing over the air. You will only need to use hotsync to transfer software or stuff like that now.

EAS syncs with zimbra over the air. So say you're in hte web client and you add a new appointment for tomorrow. you hit save, and 5 minutes later you look at your phone. That appointment should automaticly be in your calendar and you havn't done a thing.

Does taht help?

Cool... I'll test and let you know. Thanks for the help

Finally had some time to play around w/ this and it seems we are just not meant to get this working. The EAS link mentioned above only seems to be for Treos, when I tried running in on the TX it crashed/rebooted the device. I tried running VersaMail3.5 in exchange mode anyway and it's complaining about the ssl certificate. I ran through this procedure Palm - Support - Certificate Modification Tool which is supposed to upload the cert to the device, but that didn't work (everything seemed to go ok and I believe the cert is on the TX, but I'm still getting the ssl error in Versamail).

Any other hints/clues/suggestions? How about from the other side, are there any palm apps to talk to caldav servers? So instead of trying to get the data into the palm calendar, how about just running a new app that'll talk to zimbra directly?

Thread Information