Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Send mails to MTAs using greylisting

rouven is offline Junior Member

Question [SOLVED] Send mails to MTAs using greylisting

I just installed the OS version of Zimbra and was impressed by the product. At the moment i face some problems with mails sent to greylist protected mail servers. the message in the log shows, e.g.:

Recipient address rejected: Greylisted for 60 seconds

But the mail is not in the queue but in the draft folders. I never get confirmed and automatically whitelisted if the mail won't be sent again by the spooler. How to enable mails delivered to the queue and not immediatly rejected by the webinterface?

uxbod is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums

If you look at your mail queues do you see them in deferred ?

Are you able to provide a extract from your maillog files for one of those messages please ?

Mar 13 09:11:44 mail postfix/smtpd[14771]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail.myself.de[192.168.100.102]: 450 4.1.1 <anja.heesch@dahlercompany.de>: Recipient address rejected: unverified address: host mail.dahlercompany.de[88.198.41.98] said: 450 <anja.heesch@dahlercompany.de>: Recipient address rejected: Greylisted for 60 seconds (see Postgrey - Postfix Greylisting Policy Server) (in reply to RCPT TO command); from=<ann-kristin@myself.de> to=<anja.heesch@dahlercompany.de> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail.myself.de>
    I think the problem is just with the webinterface. I assume that mails send directly to the MTA will be transferred because they use the postfix mailqueue.

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rouven View Post
    I think the problem is just with the webinterface. I assume that mails send directly to the MTA will be transferred because they use the postfix mailqueue.
    The web interface is using postfix for MTA too; there is no difference on that point.

I see a note in my admin logs about a greylisted message from time to time, but it always goes through, as evidenced most completely by the fact that I get answers from the recipient. I think if you watch your queue--that is, open it up, then send a message to a known greylisted recipient, quickly refresh your view of the queue so you can see the message, and then refresh it a couple minutes later you'll see that the message has, in fact gone.

The "Drafts" folder shouldn't be part of this equation at all, and likely if you have something in Drafts either (1) you put it there, or (2) you're using Thunderbird as an IMAP client, which for some perverse reason gets "phantom" messages in the drafts folder from time to time, and the counter on your web client can only be reset to zero by going into Tbird and compacting your Drafts folder. Known issue, but to the best of my knowledge that's a Thunderbird issue not a Zimbra one.

Cheers,

Dan

The problem is that the webinterface is rejecting the mail if I press the send button with an error message:

Mail konnte nicht gesendet werden: mail.SEND_FAILURE msg: SMTP server reported: 450 4.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: unverified address: host mail.dahlercompany.de[88.198.41.98] said: 450 : Recipient address rejected: Greylisted for 60 seconds (see Postgrey - Postfix Greylisting Policy Server...
    I don't get that mail out. There is no second retry visible in the logs.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

SMTP server reported: 450 4.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: unverified address: host mail.dahlercompany.de[88.198.41.98] said: 450 : Recipient address rejected
    That error indicates that the recipient address does not exist, have you checked the email address is really valid?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Have you also made modifications to the config files? Check this thread and undo the changes, if you've made them.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Have you also made modifications to the config files? Check this thread and undo the changes, if you've made them.
    That's it. thanks. I shouldn't use the recommendation from the zimbra wiki, I should trust my own rules...

That might be a problem with greylisting as I have that setting on my Zimbra server and don't have the problem. Anyway, glad you've fixed it.
    Regards

Bill

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

That's it. thanks. I shouldn't use the recommendation from the zimbra wiki, I should trust my own rules...
    Just for clarification, there are sections of the Zimbra wiki that are official documentation, officially supported by Zimbra. You'll see those pages boldly marked as such at the top of the page. They are also locked against non-employee editing to keep them officially certified.

Other wiki articles may reflect general knowledge, or stuff that one person has found helpful enough to write up. As with any publicly-maintained document, your mileage may vary. There are things in the wiki I've found infinitely helpful, and others I, personally, wouldn't try on a bet. Like the forums, they are there to facilitate an open exchange of ideas/successes/failures. Use at your own risk, but certainly use them (and contribute to them!). When you find an error or incomplete documentation, if you would either (1) edit it yourself or (2) drop a note to the article's author, you might spare somebody else a lot of grief, too!

Cheers,

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information