Thread: LDAP use and minor problems

alberto is offline Intermediate Member

Default LDAP use and minor problems

Hello all,

First of all my congratulations to all zimbra developers for a very nice product.
    We are a small organization (6 users) and we have installed zimbra to use for our email and calendaring. So far it looks very promising. I have a couple of questions thought.
    First thing I would like to know is if it would be possible to use zimbra LDAP server to authenticate other services. I'm thinking in particular of our internal wiki. If the answer is yes (as I'm pretty sure is judging by what I've seen) where can I find some easy information that may point me in the right direction? I've browsed through the wiki with no luck. Please be easy on me because, although I love to learn, my primary function is not system administration and my knowledge and (regretfully) time are limited.
    On the other side, I thought it would be possible to define something like identities. Let me explain, I have email from different domains coming to my zimbra account using alias. I want to answer those with different alias. I mean with the from: field set to the correct domain. I have tried to do it from preferences/Accounts but I'm receiving the canonical address all the time. Is this doable?
    Thank you all for your time and congratulations on a great product. I have a few other problems that I'm pretty sure are bugs. I'll try to report then trough the correct channel as soon as I figure out how to use it.

Hello again,

¿Does anybody know if the behaviour described with addresses is the only one possible?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post
    Hello again,

¿Does anybody know if the behaviour described with addresses is the only one possible?
    You should make sure that the Admin UI setting to "Allow sending email from any address" in the COS/Preferences tab is set.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks a lot!!!. I'm trying that rigth now.
    One question with that setting (I'm just new to this).
    Would that allow anybody to send mails (enable relay) or just the users to send from any address they choose? I would think the second but for obious reasons I do not want to enable relay to everybody and so I would like to make sure. This is why I has it disable in the first place.
    Again, thank you very much and sorry if it was just a silly question.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

No, that doesn't enable you as a relay it just allows the user to set their email address.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

It does not seem to work. I think that I had tried before and then I set it back to unable because I was not sure. Now that I know I will left it enable.
    Do I need to restart zimbra for the change to take effect?

OK!!!
    I think I know what is wrong. If a canonical address is set up in the administration gui then that is used in any case. If that address is left blanck then users can send email from any of their acounts.
    Thanks

Thread Information