Thread: Spam Filtering

Bernardo is offline Intermediate Member

Default Spam Filtering

We're using Zimbra 4.5.9.

I'm having a hard time both training and configuring the Spam Filtering in the Zimbra Administration Console. We've sent well over the requisite 200 messages to the Spam Filter box by having users drag messages from a specific domain to the Junk folder, but they keep coming back.

Is there a way to set filters for Spam at the Server level rather than having to go around to every account and set a filter that says "When message is recieved that contains X, send to Junk Mail folder."??

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Bernardo, there are a number of potential problems in your description of the problem:
    1. You have to train both spam and ham with > 200 messages to get any help from the spam filters at all
    2. Dragging messages to the junk folder only trains the filters if you're using the web client; if you're using IMAP it accomplishes nothing; see this bug for details.
    3. There are lots of other configuration changes you might make to increase your spam catching; it helps to look at your message headers first of all and see if they are getting "X-Spam" lines in the header. You might also just check to make sure you have enabled antivirus/antispam on the server side (in the admin gui). Then see this wiki article for lots of ways to tweak and customize your settings.
    If you try all this and still no joy, post back and we'll try to help you figure out what's not happening and why.

Cheers,

Dan

Default Further Filtering Heartaches

Dan,

Still having a hard time getting those filters to work. Here's a situation that we're currently having problems with.

One of our users continues to get messages from the following domains:

businesstechnologywebhosting373.com
    businesswebhosting752.com

We can block the whole name out in a filter, but there are variants that come through the next day. Is there a way to set a user filter that says 'Whenever an e-mail comes in with 'business' and 'hosting' in the domain name, send it to Junk Mail?' Current filters are:

FROM CONTAINS businesstechnologywebhosting373.com
    FROM CONTAINS 'business' 'hosting'
    FILE INTO FOLDER JUNK

The second filter was my attempt to prod Zimbra into recognizing both words. I'm pretty sure it didn't work, as he's still getting a whole slew of messages.

What am I doing wrong? Is Zimbra capable of doing what I want?

Thanks in advance,
    Bernardo

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You need to hit the Junk button when a message is highlighted for it to get trained as spam, dragging a message or using a filter to send it to the Junk folder does not train the Anti-Spam system.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Just a clarification on what Bill is saying. . .in case you have not found this in your searches. . .classifying a message as "junk" or "not junk" is only done from the web client. If you move messages to the junk folder using any IMAP client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, or other) it WILL NOT train the spam filters.

As to why your specific messages are still getting through, I suggest you post the full headers of a message, so we can see the "X-Spam" headers and evaluate what is going wrong. There are many possibilities, but the headers will clue us in to a lot of them.

Cheers,

Dan

Hey folks,

Thanks for everyone's reply. I definetly understand the system of dragging emails to the Spam folder in the Zimbra WebUI as opposed to Outlook.

My curiosity is this:

Is there a way to blacklist an entire domain at the SERVER level? Can we apply a filter to all e-mail accounts, rather than having to go in one by one? I know you can create files at the command line in Linux and then move them into the SpamAssasain folder, but is there a way to do it through the Web Administration Console?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
    Thanks for everyone's reply. I definetly understand the system of dragging emails to the Spam folder in the Zimbra WebUI as opposed to Outlook.
    You do not drag email to the Junk folder, that does not train the system to recognise the mail as spam. You need to highlight the email and hit the Junk button, as I mentioned above.

Is there a way to blacklist an entire domain at the SERVER level? Can we apply a filter to all e-mail accounts, rather than having to go in one by one? I know you can create files at the command line in Linux and then move them into the SpamAssasain folder, but is there a way to do it through the Web Administration Console?
    Improving Anti-spam system - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

In addition to the wiki Bill referenced above, you might want to turn on RBLs which do some of the legwork for you. For some reason that part isn't in the wiki but it's well documented in the Zimbra Administration Guide page 41 and following.

You might also want to read this thread for further information.

Finally, once you have those things in place (and I guarantee they'll filter out a LOT of junk), it's instructive to post the headers of one or two messages that are still getting through; we can help you figure out what to do to catch them. There is a lot you can do with the system which IMHO beats one-off blocking because it's less likely the next message will get around your filters.

Cheers,

Dan

Thread Information