Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *some* incoming mail gets deferred

DeltaBlast is offline Intermediate Member

Default *some* incoming mail gets deferred

Hi all.

I've tried searching for people with the same problem and I found some smilar threads but none that match the case perfectly I think, and I don't want to mess around if I don't know exactly what I'm doing. So I'd like your opinion on this:

Some mail is ending up in deferred with the following error:
    Mar 5 03:31:09 zimbra postfix/lmtp[16379]: 50124178003: to=<somecorrect@adress.com>, relay=zimbra.ourserver.nl[192.168.204.205], delay=127128, status=deferred (host zimbra.ourserver.nl[192.168.204.205] said: 451 4.0.0 Temporary message delivery failure try again (in reply to end of DATA command))
    Mar 5 03:31:12 zimbra postfix/lmtp[16378]: B255E178004: to=<someothercorrect@adress.com>, relay=zimbra.ourserver.nl[192.168.204.205], delay=127129, status=deferred (host zimbra.ourserver.nl[192.168.204.205] said: 451 4.0.0 Temporary message delivery failure try again (in reply to end of DATA command))

Right. In another thread, KevinH said the following: In general our tomcat (LMTP) response is 451 when there is an exception/error or on a timeout or when there is a problem indexing attachments. Can you check your /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out for any exceptions or errors? Also can you look in /opt/zimbra/log/convertd.log for any errors(this log is for the attachment convertor).

So I checked catalina.out for that day: empty. Is it normal that those logs are empty? Because I have a whole lot of them, and most of them are empty :P

In convertd.log were some errors around that time though: http://www.digicrap.com/partofconvertd.log

Can you guys tell me what's going wrong?

edit: the problem seems to arise on dwgs and pdfs within zips.
    Last edited by mmorse; 03-06-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: this is the live thread now

chapman_164 is offline Active Member

I was having the exact same problem. The only way around this that I found was to manually disable indexing for specific file types. See this thread for more discussion on this topic. Hope this helps.

Mike Chapman

Okay, but this will effectively disable working with those files in the webinterface. I'm working for an Architect Bureau so they work with such files often, need to search for them and be able to use them in other countries as well (through webinterface). I will try your solution for now but I hope someone finds out what is causing the problem and comes with a real fix
    Thanks!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBlast View Post
    Okay, but this will effectively disable working with those files in the webinterface. I'm working for an Architect Bureau so they work with such files often, need to search for them and be able to use them in other countries as well (through webinterface). I will try your solution for now but I hope someone finds out what is causing the problem and comes with a real fix
    Which release of Zimbra is this and are you a NE user?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

chapman_164 is offline Active Member

Thanks!
    We're an engineering firm so those files are vitally important to us also. By using this (hopefully temprorary) solution all you lose is the ability to have those files indexed or to view them as html from in the web interface. You can still download the attachments and work on them in their native format without any problem. For us this is better than when these emails were getting stuck in the deferred queue and not getting delivered (or at least getting delayed by days).

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I'm using 5.0.2_GA_1975.UBUNTU6 UBUNTU6 NETWORK edition although I had the same problem with 5.0.1. If you have any other ideas I'd love to try them out. We didn't have any indexing of attachments with our last solution so we're not necessarily missing anything but it would be nice to get this working again.

Thanks,
    Mike Chapman

Mike

The best solution for you at this stage is to open a support case, they'll be able to help you debug the problem.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I'm not a Night Elf, I'm a Dwarf! (Sorry, silly WoW joke )

But yeah, we're a NE user. On release 4.5 something (I'm currently not at work).

I assume your reply applies to us as well?

I'll open up a support ticket tomorrow.

rib
    rib is offline Active Member

Did you have any luck with this? I am experiencing the same problem.

Unfortunately not, it seems that in the end the answer comes down to "it's fixed in 5, go upgrade"

Unfortunately not, it seems that in the end the answer comes down to "it's fixed in 5, go upgrade"
    Yes, they should be fixed in 5.x but if you still have problems then re-open your case.
    Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information