Thread: [SOLVED] admin console Mail Queue

padraig is offline Elite Member

Question [SOLVED] admin console Mail Queue

Whats the difference between Flush & Requeue all
    in the admin console -> Mail Queue
    TIA,
    p.

Bill Brock is offline Outstanding Member

Just guessing but flush sounds like down the john - bye bye.

Requeue is try to send again

mmorse is offline Moderator

Not quite...

Requeuing messages can be used to send messages that were deferred because of a configuration problem that has been fixed. If the misconfiguration caused postfix to store incorrect information about the next hop or transport method, or to rewrite the address incorrectly, etc. The message is subjected again to mail address rewriting and substitution. This is useful when rewriting rules or virtual mappings have changed. Messages are re-evaluated and earlier penalties are forgotten.

It's like a return to the beginning of the delivery cycle, but in many respects its handling still differs from that of a new submission because a lot of things depend on original SMTP connection state information. The message is moved to the maildrop queue and copied by the pickup then cleanup daemons to a new queue file.

BTW: Postfix queue file IDs are reused. So if you requeue a message note the envelope information, not the queue ID. It is possible that when you refresh the mail queues, the queue ID could be used on a different message if you have a lot of mail.

In addition to taking action on individual messages in a specific queue, you can flush the server. The flush button is to immediately attempt delivery of all messages in the deferred, incoming and active queues. This command should be used if you have reason to expect successful deliveries; else just leave it to the postfix queue manager for normal scheduling. ie: If you run it once, and stuff still doesn't deliver, check to see if you have a problem before putting all that load on your server again...

mmorse is offline Moderator

Why might you want to use flush? Because you might not want to wait 5-60min for stuff to be delivered & don't care about load; most likely you've recently fixed a configuration or connection problem etc.
    Postfix defaults:

queue_run_delay (default: 300 seconds; before Postfix 2.4: 1000s)
    How often the queue manager scans the queue for deferred mail.

minimal_backoff_time (default: 300 seconds; before Postfix 2.4: 1000s)
    The minimal amount of time a message won't be looked at, and the minimal amount of time to stay away from a "dead" destination.

maximal_backoff_time (default: 4000 seconds)
    The maximal amount of time a message won't be looked at after a delivery failure.

maximal_queue_lifetime (default: 5 days)
    How long a message stays in the queue before it is sent back as undeliverable. Specify 0 for mail that should be returned immediately after the first unsuccessful delivery attempt.

bounce_queue_lifetime (default: 5 days, available with Postfix version 2.1 and later)
    How long a MAILER-DAEMON message stays in the queue before it is considered undeliverable. Specify 0 for mail that should be tried only once.

qmgr_message_recipient_limit (default: 20000)
    The size of many in-memory queue manager data structures. Among others, this parameter limits the size of the short-term, in-memory list of "dead" destinations. Destinations that don't fit the list are not added.

nero is offline Member

Default If flush and requeue did not work, what else can be done?

My customer have his e-mail bounced when he try to send e-mail to me. He send e-mail to me before few months back and it works fine. I found the e-mail in mail queues deferred. I have tried the above method flush and requeue and it did not deliver the message to me. When I requeue the msg is gone from deferred however i still do not receive the e-mail. What else can i do to solve this problem?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nero View Post
    My customer have his e-mail bounced when he try to send e-mail to me. He send e-mail to me before few months back and it works fine. I found the e-mail in mail queues deferred. I have tried the above method flush and requeue and it did not deliver the message to me. When I requeue the msg is gone from deferred however i still do not receive the e-mail. What else can i do to solve this problem?
    Look in the log files and see why the messages are getting rejected/deferred.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

nero is offline Member

Somehow, after the requeue the msg finally got through. Phoenix, you were saying about the log files, which particular log files i should look at for the flush and requeue? Thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You'll find information in the mailbox.log on why the message was queued in the first place.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information