Thread: Migrating to new server

pcoleman is offline Active Member

Default Migrating to new server

Hi,

I asked this in another thread but didn't get any answers so I'll try again.

We are moving Zimbra to a new server off site (connected with site-to-site VPN). The user (about 60) mail boxes etc are on a Raid in our offices.

So there are actually 2 questions I have.

1. Can I (or is it wise to) connect the new instance of Zimbra to the raid
    back in our office over the VPN?

2. Even if I move the raid to the new location can I connect to it or do I have to do some sort of export from the old set up first and then import into the new instance of Zimbra?

Any other suggestions on doing this would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pat.

p24t is offline Moderator

Well, I'm not sure what your 'raid' is exactly, whether it's a fileserver or a storage node of some sort.

Firstly, no matter what it is, if you're thinking of hosting your server offsite and keeping your data local, you had better have a really fat pipe connecting that VPN if you want any performance whatsoever.

Now, if you move your storage to your new server location, I'm sure you can connect it. Now as for Zimbra, I don't know if there's any way to connect an existing mailstore to a new installation. I wouldn't expect there to be, but you never know. (any cool tips there anyone?)

Lastly, if you're moving your Zimbra, why not just move the whole installation, unless it's not possible. It would be much easier not to redo your entire mailserver installation. If you're going to move to a new server, you will probably have to migrate all your data, with imapsync or something similar.

>Well, I'm not sure what your 'raid' is exactly, whether it's a fileserver or a storage node of some sort.

It's an Apple Xraid connect to the server in our office.

>Firstly, no matter what it is, if you're thinking of hosting your server offsite and keeping your data local, you had better have a really fat pipe connecting that VPN if you want any performance whatsoever.

Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for

>Now, if you move your storage to your new server location, I'm sure you can connect it. Now as for Zimbra, I don't know if there's any way to connect an existing mailstore to a new installation. I wouldn't expect there to be, but you never know. (any cool tips there anyone?)

So what has to be done? Export the existing mailstore and then import it? What do people do when they move to a new server?

>Lastly, if you're moving your Zimbra, why not just move the whole installation, unless it's not possible. It would be much easier not to redo your entire mailserver installation. If you're going to move to a new server, you will probably have to migrate all your data, with imapsync or something similar.

When you say "just move the whole installation"
    What exactly do you mean? Move the hareware? Or is there a way to move the actual Zimbra installation?

From what I'm learning Zimbra runs it's own LDAP and then it authenticates against our LDAP running on another system. One of the reasons we are moving things is that we feel our LDAP is not working correctly so we are setting up a new one. So would there be a problem authenticating about the new LDAP?

Thanks.

Pat.

p24t is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pcoleman View Post
    So what has to be done? Export the existing mailstore and then import it? What do people do when they move to a new server?
    I used imapsync to migrate all my user mailboxes. It's literally just what it says, it syncs via imap.

When you say "just move the whole installation"
    What exactly do you mean? Move the hareware? Or is there a way to move the actual Zimbra installation?
    You might be able to move the installation files, if you install Zimbra on the new server, then copy over /opt/zimbra. (haven't tried that myself, but I can see it working) Honestly, if you can, simply moving the entire setup, hardware and all, would probably be the easiest for you (if possible)

From what I'm learning Zimbra runs it's own LDAP and then it authenticates against our LDAP running on another system. One of the reasons we are moving things is that we feel our LDAP is not working correctly so we are setting up a new one. So would there be a problem authenticating about the new LDAP?
    Zimbra by default uses its own LDAP for everything, including authentication. Here, I use another OpenLDAP installation that I had previously for my authentication. Depending on the systems you have, Zimbra will allow you to authenticate against it for both POSIX and Samba logins. If you're simply moving from one external LDAP to another, I don't see that you would have any issues. If you don't need an external LDAP server for anything other than Zimbra, you may just consider letting it use its own internal authentication mechanism.

Bill Brock is offline Outstanding Member

There is a wiki out there that will talk you through the process.

I just moved from one server to another using this wiki. The original wiki left out fixing permissions for the .ssh folder and the message store folder and the index folder. Be sure you correct the permissions of these folders.

Do you have the URL for it? Name of it?

Thanks.

Pat.

Bill Brock is offline Outstanding Member

Thanks.
    Pat.

Thread Information