Thread: Test backup restoration problem

richard-hdd is offline Active Member

Question Test backup restoration problem

Hello,

I am trying to restore a backup we have of our Zimbra installation to a test server just so that I can see that I can actually restore a backup. Before I start explaining my problems, here are the configurations involved:

Current mail server is running Release 4.5.10_GA_1575.RHEL4_20071117152457 CentOS4 FOSS edition and is running on CentOS release 4.5 (Final).

The test server that I am trying to restore the backup to is running Release 4.5.10_GA_1575.RHEL4_20071117152457 CentOS4 FOSS edition and is running on CentOS release 4.6 (Final).

To backup Zimbra on our mail server, I shutdown Zimbra and then rsync the /opt/zimbra directory and all of it's contents to our backup server and then start Zimbra back up. My understanding is that in order to restore Zimbra on another server, I need restore the /opt/zimbra directory and run the install program for the exact same version of the original installed Zimbra (which I have done).

The first time I did this I had lots of errors during the install process due to DNS. I originally gave the test server a hostname of mailbackup but I didn't add the information to the DNS cause I didn't actually want to act as a mail server. I tried different suggestions from the forums but couldn't really resolve any of the problems.

I started over again with a fresh virtual machine and this time I gave it a hostname of localhost. This seemed to have solved most of the problems as I was able to get through the install with only a couple of warnings about MX entries not being found.

However this time when I start Zimbra on the test server, I get the following:

[root@localhost libexec]# su - zimbra
    [zimbra@localhost ~]$ zmcontrol stop
    Host localhost
    Stopping stats...Done
    Stopping mta...Done
    Stopping spell...Done
    Stopping snmp...Done
    Stopping antivirus...Done
    Stopping antispam...Done
    Stopping imapproxy...Done
    Stopping mailbox...Done
    Stopping logger...Done
    Stopping ldap...Done

but when I check the status I get:

Host localhost
    antispam Running
    antivirus Running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Stopped
    mysql.server is not running
    tomcat is not running
    mta Running
    snmp Running
    spell Running
    stats Stopped

I tried stopping zimbra, running /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms as root and then starting zimbra again but that didn't seem to change anything.

Is the problem with restore a Zimbra backup to another server is that the hostname is not the same as what was on the original server? If so, is it possible to test a backup restoration without disrupting mail services on the actual mail server?

Any help on resolving this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Details in this blog entry: http://www.zimbra.com/blog/archives/...er_server.html There are also some articles in the wiki and lots of threads in the forums about backup/restore.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

preem is offline Active Member

When i tried the mentioned procedure, it went flawlessly, the only thing needed changing was the zimbra UID/GID, other than that, it worked great, so you might wanna check it out.

Thread Information