Thread: Documents - how to use?

sternfan is offline Special Member

Question Documents - how to use?

Hi all,

I read the documentation on "documents" and am not sure exactly how it works or if I should try to implement it. I have a number of users that share network drives and work collaboratively on these docs. I also have need for setting up templates so that some users can tab thru a doc, filling in as needed, and then saving it at the end.

So... Can using Zimbra documents help with this? Is there a walkthru or a dummies description somewhere to help me figure this out?

Also - can you import a document for this? Like a word document?

And last - I am setting up some users with Thunderbird. I am assuming that documents would not work?

Many thanks,
    Rob

Dirk is offline Moderator

In reverse order...

Documents function is only available within the web client, wont be exposed to Thunderbird.

Importing a word document is not possible, but you can select all and do a copy/paste from the word doc into the zimbra doc, lots of the formatting will be carried over, including things like tables and colours; it may not transfer perfectly, but it should be decent.

Walkthrough, tutorial for the documents function? Not that I'm aware of but check the wiki for one and if you feel up to it, write one and publish it into the wiki!

As for sharing the documents, this can be done but I dont know what will happen with simultanious edits. I've not used the documents feature very much recently.

sternfan is offline Special Member

Thanks for the reply. Doing a quick search of the forums, there doesn't seem to be a lot of posts on the Documents feature.

The web interface vs. TBird is ok - was just hoping... I am trying to move completely to IMAP on TBird...

Is anybody out there using the documents feature and willing to give a brief description on its use? We (much like most of the world I guess) use network shares for document sharing - I'm wondering what is different - or better - in using the documents feature.

Thanks a bunch,
    Rob

Bill Brock is offline Outstanding Member

The best way to answer some questions is to just get in there and do it.

I like the documents feature but have only touched on the surface of its capabilities.

Dirk is offline Moderator

Just a quick note to mention that importing documents is indeed possible, contrary to what I previously stated. I initially checked on an older installation of zimbra

I've imported a 50 page document heavy with formatting and it worked quite well, it did lose some formatting but kept most of it, including embedded images. I'll play around with shared editing soon.

Thread Information