Thread: A few initial questions...

fhouston is offline Active Member

Default A few initial questions...

We are just a couple of days into our trial period and I have a few questions. They cover a variety of topics so I thought this might be the best forum to ask this in...

- First off is how easy is Zimbra to sync w/ something running PalmOS (either a palm itself or something like a Treo)? I've seen a couple of different things that talk about sync w/ Zimbra w/ Outlook and then Outlook w/ Palm, but that seems a bit much and I don't think I'm going to be able to convince people to use Outlook just as a conduit. Isn't there an easier way to do this? Have I missed something here?

- Where are the mail files, or are they stored in a DB somewhere? If I access the zimbra IMAP server via something that requires I specify a root dir (pine for example) what do I use? It works fine w/ Thunderbird (so I know everything is installed/running correctly) but on PC-Pine I have to specify a path to the mail folder. If I don't put anything there I can see the other folders (chats, drafts, trash, etc) but not the Inbox.

- Is there a way to see a location's calendar? What I mean is I setup a conference room location and people can request use of that location when creating an event, but I can't seem to find a way to pull up a calendar that has all the events for that location. Do I have to set a password for that location, login and then share it?

- Speaking of sharing, I see the concept of groups mentioned when creating a share, but I don't see a way of creating groups in the admin app. I did setup a distribution list, but when I tried to share something to that list I got an error.

- Is anyone using multiple Zimbra installs at different locations and how well do they interact? It seems like the only share that allows read/write access is for "local" users/groups. If I have two sets of users at different locations, how can I make all the info accessible to either side? I haven't looked into it much so if someone can just say yes/no and point me in the right direction I'll should be able to dig up the details.

- How do I change sshd to run on something other than port 22? I tried setting it to something else but then I lost the ability to see the mail queues.

- What firewall do people usually use w/ zimbra? Since we are testing it on an ubuntu machine normally I would use something like shorewall. Since zimbra seems to take over the machine entirely though I wasn't sure if one was needed or which one I should use.

I'm pretty sure some more questions will come up as we dig into it further, but I think that's it for now.

From what I've been able to figure out so far...
    - First off is how easy is Zimbra to sync w/ something running PalmOS (either a palm itself or something like a Treo)?
    From what I can see so far there is no easy way to do this. The only options are to get people to do something I've been trying to move them away from (using Outlook) or some other sort of convoluted process. If we can't find an easy way to do this, this might be the poison pill that prevents us from using Zimbra

- Where are the mail files, or are they stored in a DB somewhere? ...
    Because of how Pine does it's thing and Zimbra does it's thing it looks like there is going to be no easy way for Pine to look at the Zimbra inbox. If anyone has been able to do this I would appreciate finding out how.

- Is there a way to see a location's calendar? ... Do I have to set a password for that location, login and then share it?
    I guess this is the accepted way of doing this? Seems a bit convoluted but it works. I was just wondering if there was a more efficient way, like being able to do it from the admin app (Although I guess there is the "view mail" option and do it that way right? That helps avoid having to set a password and login right?)?

- Speaking of sharing, I see the concept of groups mentioned when creating a share...
    I wasn't able to replicate the error and sharing to lists does seem to work ok so this one seems to be a non-issue.

- How do I change sshd to run on something other than port 22?
    I found reference to a command string "zmprov {server} zimbraRemoteManagementPort 22" that will supposedly reset the ssh port, however when I run "zmprov help commands" I don't see reference to this command. Is it a hidden option or something? If so is there a complete list of what zmprov can do? Also, along w/ changing the ssh port, is it possible to change the default admin port?

- What firewall do people usually use w/ zimbra?
    This has some info Firewall Configuration - Zimbra :: Wiki what it doesn't discuss though is whether or not a firewall is really necessary/something people usually do?

The one thing I'm not able to find anything about, and I'm probably just using the wrong search terms is...
    Quote Originally Posted by fhouston View Post
    - Is anyone using multiple Zimbra installs at different locations and how well do they interact? It seems like the only share that allows read/write access is for "local" users/groups. If I have two sets of users at different locations, how can I make all the info accessible to either side? I haven't looked into it much so if someone can just say yes/no and point me in the right direction I'll should be able to dig up the details.

Any help w/ any of this is appreciated.
    Last edited by fhouston; 02-21-2008 at 07:06 AM.

p24t is offline Moderator

Palms (some) can sync over air (cellular/wifi) with Zimbra using ActiveSync (or the palm version thereof) - there is information on the wiki. Note that Zimbra Mobile is a feature of the NE edition, not the free OSS.

The mail is stored in /opt/zimbra/store by default. If you're using pine to access it via IMAP, then pine does not need to know anything about Zimbra's file structure. It's probably asking you where you want to put pine's information.

To see a location's calendar, the easiest ways are to go to the admin panel and use View Mail, and then to share the location calendar to a user.

You can create contact groups in your contacts. These can be used for calendar invitations, etc. I've never tried to use them to assign share permissions before.

I haven't bothered to try to change any ports, and my mailserver at work is behind our corporate firewall. My Zimbra at home, I didn't bother to put any extra port restrictions on anything, though I probably should. I'll probably just use iptables for that.

Are you looking to set up multiple Zimbra servers? You might want to look into the clustering features... I don't have much info on those myself.

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

Palms incapable of over-the-air sync can still do "over-the-air" sync with a PPP connection over USB. See Non-Mobile Non-Outlook Palm Sync

The relevant pine settings are inbox-path or perhaps incoming-folders if you're checking multiple IMAP folders. You probably added the zimbra server as a secondary folder-path, in which case inbox won't show up. The "folder path" you see in Thunderbird is really "prepend this string before any IMAP folder name." This was usually only necessary with configurations of UW-IMAP that put folders in the mail/ subdirectory of the UNIX homedir. Not many people use even UW-IMAP like that anymore.

Seeing a location resource's calendar: Any Zimbra 5.0.2 or later server allows globally public viewing of free/busy lists like https://mail.carleton.edu/home/rgraves/?fmt=freebusy. That's on by default and in fact you can't turn it off (file an RFE if you'd like to). To allow all your users to browse conference room schedules you can use "zmmailbox -z; sm conferenceroom; mfg Calendar all r" (equivalent to system:anyuser; if you don't care about Google indexing your conference rooms, you can do "mfg Calendar public r") and then point users at URLs like https://zimbra.example.com/home/conf.../Calendar.html.

"Distribution lists" are different from "contact groups." The former can be set only from the admin console. Distribution lists are both mailing lists and can be used in folder sharing ACLs. Contact groups are just personal/shared addressbook entries. You can enter a contact group into most ACL-ish places, but in that case they expand to the addresses *at that moment*, whereas if you use a distribution list, that provides a single point of control.

The search term (and install document) you want is "multi-server installation." If you configure multiple Zimbra servers at different locations to use the same master LDAP server, then they will share a GAL, free/busy, etc. If the master location is unavailable, then you will not be able to create accounts on the satellite locations unless you promote their LDAP server to master and reconfigure. A few things, like IM and shared folders via IMAP, are still broken across server boundaries, so invest in one bug server and lots of network bandwidth if you can.

Years ago, there was talk of using DNS SRV records to facilitate free/busy publishing and stuff across not just server, but corporate boundaries. But this idea seems to have died some time before ZCS 4.0.

Thanks for the responses/info. I'll look into some of that. A couple more things came up...

- We just d/l the trial edition that was available after registering. Is that the standard or professional (I think pro but I'm not entirely sure)? Also does that version include the Mobile support (not the Blackberry but the smart phone)?

- The main issue we're having, related to the above, is lack of email reminders. I saw there was a feature request for this but someone at my site mentioned maybe the push feature of the mobile support could emulate that until the real feature is implemented. I'm still getting my bearings w/ the admin app though so I'm not 100% sure what I'm even looking for but I don't see anything that looks related to a mobile feature...

thanks again

You should get a temporary license key from sales that allows ActiveSync support (there -- it's someone else's trademark, but it's much clearer than wondering which "mobile" you mean).

Dunno what you mean by "email reminders." If you mean SMS alerts when you get certain kinds of email, that's been requested but not done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    You should get a temporary license key from sales that allows ActiveSync support (there -- it's someone else's trademark, but it's much clearer than wondering which "mobile" you mean).
    To be honest I'm not sure what Mobile I mean either... When I looked up mobile in the wiki I ended up on page talking about the Windows Mobile OS. The page that I'm looking at is http://www.zimbra.com/products/mobile_smartphone.html which talks about smartphones and some Palm support. The product comparison list mentions this is an optional feature but I'm not sure if it's been included in the trial I d/l or how to d/l it if it isn't.

Dunno what you mean by "email reminders." If you mean SMS alerts when you get certain kinds of email, that's been requested but not done.
    Actually thinking more related to the calendar. So the ideal would be to have an email sent out by the server to a user specified address a amount of time before a meeting also set by the user. Bug 10287 - Alert Server

Red face

The relevant pine settings are inbox-path or perhaps incoming-folders if you're checking multiple IMAP folders. You probably added the zimbra server as a secondary folder-path, in which case inbox won't show up. The "folder path" you see in Thunderbird is really "prepend this string before any IMAP folder name." This was usually only necessary with configurations of UW-IMAP that put folders in the mail/ subdirectory of the UNIX homedir. Not many people use even UW-IMAP like that anymore.
    You're right, it just occurred to me what's going on... I'm using the "collection list" option to add the zimbra mailboxes, which is why I'm able to see the other mailboxes. However it is just the other mailboxes and the main Inbox for pine is still my main mail server. I did run into this problem w/ another server I also connect to via pine/collection lists and for that I put in a hack on the remote server that just forwards everything going into the Inbox to another mailbox that is accessible via IMAP. It's been so long since I've done that I had forgotten about it and was trying to figure out why I couldn't get pine/zimbra to emulate that behavior (ie "seeing" the inbox of the remote server). DOH!

We're still slogging away on this... I was just curious if there was a resource somewhere that explained all the command line commands/their functions and options?

thx

Category:Command Line Interface - Zimbra :: Wiki is a good starting point. All tools have reasonable -h options or "help" verbs.

Thread Information