Thread: Problems with Firefox

danny.sierra@omtech.net is offline Trained Alumni

Default Problems with Firefox

Hi guys, i got a problem with Zimbra 5.0.2 and Firefox on windows, well i believe is more a problem with Firefox than with Zimbra, well all my users of Zimbra web mail wich has windows and firefox are complainig that zimbra is kind of slow in some tasks like compose and replay on a diferent window, the funny thing is that on mac os and linux with firefox it didn't happens well, the version of my firefox in all computers (Unix or Windows based) is 2.0.0.11 is there a bug reported for this version?

mstreet is offline Intermediate Member

Default Similar Slowness on new window popup

Hi,

Several of my users have noticed this same phenomenon with different browsers, firefox and IE. We are running 5.0.2 OSS

When hitting the REPLY button or a NEW mail compose, if you have your setting to open a new window to compose it takes an unsually long amount of time for the window to fill in and the editor to appear. Sometimes the application will come up and say that the server is responding slowly and just sit there for eternity.

I have noted that sometimes when a new composition window pops up it seems like it never stops loading, my mouse icon keeps spinning and spinning as though the window is continuously loading. I have also noted that sometime when I pop a new mail or a reply it comes up rapidly like normal.

I also note when Clicking on the IM button, the left hand column does not change from the previous application. If I was in E-mail and click on IM the client will continue to display my E-mail folders in the left hand column while I am in the IM application.
    Mark Street, D.C., RHCE
    Chief Technology Officer
    Alliance Medical Center

jurg is offline Active Member

We also notice very slow opening of new detached windows in 5.0.2. But only on Windows (FF and IE). We use Release 5.0.2_GA_1975.UBUNTU6 UBUNTU6 NETWORK edition.

Any solution for this?

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

If you watch the network bandwidth usage while this new window is coming up you can see a lot of traffic from the server to the client. Without pulling out wireshark and actually looking at it my guess would be that the popup window is loading the interface all over again...which is a bug in my opinion. Upon a second opening of the popup window none of this traffic occurs and the window loads almost instantly.

EDIT: I am seeing this on trunk firefox builds on windows Vista. Our server is 5.0.2 FOSS running on OpenSUSE 10.3.

bradb21 is offline Advanced Member

I did see the same thing myself with what looked like repeated loading and the mouse icon going whacky. I had my wireshark running on my PC during on of these incidents and it was not seeming to generate network traffic during the incident. It was almost like AJAX was stuck in a loop or something. I fixed the problem on my machine running Open SuSE Linux 10.3 by going to a new Java 1.5. I thought that fixed the problem, but it returned today for a bried period and left as quickly as it appeared.
    Release 6.0.2_GA_1912.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition + Mobile Option
    Activesync with Moto Q9C, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pro, & Palm Pre

Diluted is offline Intermediate Member

My users are also having the problem where the mouse icon continuously flashes and the browser tab they have Zimbra open in is changing so fast you can barely read it. Restarting the web browser fixes it for a while, and while it is not affecting them in terms of sending mail or functioning in the browser, it is awfully annoying. Anyone find a fix yet?

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mstreet View Post
    When hitting the REPLY button or a NEW mail compose, if you have your setting to open a new window to compose it takes an unsually long amount of time for the window to fill in and the editor to appear. Sometimes the application will come up and say that the server is responding slowly and just sit there for eternity.

I have noted that sometimes when a new composition window pops up it seems like it never stops loading, my mouse icon keeps spinning and spinning as though the window is continuously loading. I have also noted that sometime when I pop a new mail or a reply it comes up rapidly like normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jurg View Post
    We also notice very slow opening of new detached windows in 5.0.2. But only on Windows (FF and IE). We use Release 5.0.2_GA_1975.UBUNTU6 UBUNTU6 NETWORK edition.
    Any solution for this?
    We now load the javascript code for zimlets in detached windows Bug 9858 - Zimlets do not load in any new window (compose, detached view, etc)

The issue you're seeing is being tracked/addressed via: Bug 24860 - detached windows take a while to load

There's also: Bug 24862 - Update common zimlets with attribute to load in detached windows

jurg is offline Active Member

OK This would explain it, though I still do not understand why our Macs generally have detached windows opening faster.

I will see if we can use less zimlets. The coolest thing ever, though, cannot be used from within a detached window. It would be great if it would be possible to upload attachments by drag and drop in detached windows!
    Last edited by jurg; 02-20-2008 at 03:20 PM.

mmorse is offline Moderator

jwtadmin is offline Intermediate Member

Default Still seeing this bug in 5.0.4

Still seeing this bug in 5.0.4

User complained about slow compose windows, was using FF on a PC

I verified this is slow on FF 2.0.0.13 on OS X 10.5.2

I will update the bugzilla entry though there is one other comment.

Filled new bug report bugID 27304
    Last edited by jwtadmin; 04-18-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Thread Information